Mystery Rug - Can anyone tell me what I have here?

  • efvginc
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2006
      Hi all, I am new to the rug business.

      I've been asked to arrange the sale of a carpet the owner claims to
      have bought in 1988 at what was then J. R. Edwards Jewelry & Antiques
      on 5th Ave, NY. He claims that although he paid much less for it, it
      supposedly caught his eye because it had a "liquidation sale" price
      tag on it with a figure of $100,000. I find that quite hard to
      believe looking at photos of the carpet and comparing it to this one
      (http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID4339093P5150079-Amazing-Masterpiece-Tabriz-19-x-13-Persian-Rug-900-KPSI-igned-By-Ghareh-Baghi-Top-.quality-Free-Shipping.aspx) , but then I'm no expert. Yet I feel he
      may have been taken for a ride himself being a novice buyer.

      I've posted pictures at the following URL and would appreciate if an
      accomplished professional could shed some light on this woven mystery
      of mine. I'd like to know:

      1. Is it Persian or Oriental? (Country it was most likely made in)

      2. How old is it likely to be?

      3. What is its true market value today in a fixed price sale
      situation?

      4. What's the most it might attract in a private online auction
      scenario, where the bidders really love and desire ownership of what
      appears to be a very unique and attractive design? (i know i loved it
      at first sight; it was not unlike spotting a stunningly beautiful
      woman across the room)

      Additional info to assist your objective assessment:

      1. When I went to view this carpet, I had to help the owner remove it
      from a 20ft container, where he claims it has been stored since he
      imported it from the US 18 years ago (it's on the Caribbean island of
      Barbados)

      2. The carpet is in pristine condition and to me looks like it could
      have been made only last week.

      3. The size is 12 ft x 9 ft

      4. It's about 3/4 - 7/8 of an inch thick

      5. Didn't know about knot count at the time so I didn't photograph
      the back; my apologies for the oversight as I understand now that
      that's an important reference point.

      6. The owner claims that the dealer in NY told him at the time of
      purchase, that the carpet was commissioned specifically for a Shah
      but that the Shah died before the carpet was completed - fairy tale
      or not I have no idea...

      Thanks for any assistance forthcoming, as it falls upon my firm to
      arrange the sale of this item by private online auction as soon as
      possible. The photos may be viewed here:

      http://www.e-fvg.com/carpet.html

      Robin
    • Iain Stewart
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2006
        Hi Robin -

        Your rug is a standard Chinese item, just possibly the 18 years old you have
        been advised, although it could have been made at any time since then.

        Although attractive, handmade and so on, Chinese rugs of this type and age
        do not possess any significant resale value beyond what you might pay for
        them in rug shops, department stores etc. They have no collectable value
        whatsoever (as being readily available in considerable quantities, and being
        entirely commercial in nature)

        The various background aspects you mention are therefore totally without
        substance, and indeed derisible.

        I am sorry if this comes as bad news, but there it is. Someone along the
        lines appears to have been seriously hoodwinked.
        --
        All the best
        Iain Stewart

[...]

        http://www.e-fvg.com/carpet.html <http://www.e-fvg.com/carpet.html>