Re: Dardashti not Zardashi - Thanks Barry!

  • Iain Stewart
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2006

      Hi Mari -

      On the basis of the three or four Dardashti rugs I have seen at first hand, Hassan Dardashti is for me one of the most impressive and interesting of living Persin master weavers. In the pieces I've seen, he makes some exquisite floral/allver designs which mix a strong traditional decorative knowledge with a well-observed naturalism executed with the meticulous virtuosity to which the most ambitious Persian weavers of today are so committed. I rank him up with Mirmehti and Bolandian (or Bolondian?), both of Qum, as among the most significant  of modern ustads, who continues the legacy of the greatest old carpet masters and transcends the futile obsessions of much modern Persian carpet design (especially seen in absurd figural rugs which apparently celebrate photographic accuracy as the ultimate grail of carpet making)

      I have posted two photographs of Dardashti in an eponymous album in the Photos section, here:

      The only other thing I know is that Dardashti was born in 1936 of the Common Era...

      I hope this is of some interest - you are very lucky to own a Dardashti rug, and I'm sure the more you find out about its maker the more it will mean to you.

      All the best

      Iain Stewart

       --- In rug-fanatics@yahoogroups.com, "earth_day1970" <earth_day1970@...> wrote:

      > Barry O'Connell kindly suggested that my rug might be a Dardashti as
      > indeed it turns out to be. Many thanks, Barry. Any more information
      > on this weaver would be appreciated.
      > Mari

    • Hendrik Groger
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2006
        Hello everybody reading this email, I'm posting here a few rugs I don't know how to
        identify. If you know what these are please post your comment. I'd appreciate it.
        Thank you. H.G.