Introducing Dugul Looms

  • Ryan Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
      While I believe that my project may have already been mentioned on this list, I want to introduce you all to Dugul Looms (www.dugullooms.com). I am an American who has been living in the mountains of Azerbaijan among the Lezgi people. As many of you already know that their traditional woven structure is the sumakh. The Lezgi weaving culture is on the verge of extinction. In the Lezgi region of Azerbaijan, only 2 villages out of 82 still have active weavers. The demands of an agrarian society in combination with the availability of cheap machine-made carpets suffocate their fragile weaving tradition. The goal of the project is to preserve and promote Lezgi weaving, and to find direct paths to markets to be able to keep as much of the profit as possible in the local community.

      We bought a bunch of yarn, wove beautiful sumakhs, and had great success in selling them to the expatriates in Baku. I am back in the States for several months, and I am eager to promote our project in anyway that I can. I brought back several fine examples of our sumakhs, and I would love to show them to anyone with interest. While our first batch of yarn was unfortunately commercially dyes, we are already developing the natural dye process for all of our future pieces.

      I also have a couple stunning examples of Caucasian pile rugs by a partnering producer. I am eaqually interested in finding interest in these pile examples. All of the sumakhs and two pile pieces (which are naturally dyes) can be seen in our gallery at: http://dugullooms.com/pgs/Gallery.html

      While you are at the website, be sure to meet some of our weavers at: http://dugullooms.com/pgs/Weavers.html

      I am based in San Diego, CA, but I will be driving up the entire west coast to Washington in February. If you are any where on the west coast, and interest in meeting for tea, it would be my pleasure.

      Sincerely,

      Ryan Smith

      Dugul Looms Founder
    • Barry O'Connell
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2006
        Ryan Smith
        Dugul Looms
        Hello,
        Very nice work! I like the rugs and I especailly like the way you have presented them. The website looks great. I tried to call your Azerbaijan number but your phone was switched off. If you are in the states send me a number.
        Best wishes,
        Barry O'Connell

        Ryan Smith <ryan@...> wrote:
[...]

      • R Hyde
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2006
          Yeah, nice web site the rugs look to be decent quality but the color
          palette and designs need some work.

          Are you shopping these to dealers on the west coast?

          R Hyde

          --- In rug-fanatics@yahoogroups.com, Barry O'Connell
          <yesterday20785@...> wrote:

          > Ryan Smith
          > Dugul Looms
          > Hello,
          > Very nice work! I like the rugs and I especailly like the way
          you have presented them. The website looks great. I tried to call
          your Azerbaijan number but your phone was switched off. If you are
          in the states send me a number.
          > Best wishes,
          > Barry O'Connell
          >

          > Ryan Smith <ryan@...> wrote: body{margin-left:10px;margin-
          right:10px;margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;} While I believe that
          my project may have already been mentioned on this list, I want to
          introduce you all to Dugul Looms (www.dugullooms.com). I am an
          American who has been living in the mountains of Azerbaijan among
          the Lezgi people. As many of you already know that their traditional
          woven structure is the sumakh. The Lezgi weaving culture is on the
          verge of extinction. In the Lezgi region of Azerbaijan, only 2
          villages out of 82 still have active weavers. The demands of an
          agrarian society in combination with the availability of cheap
          machine-made carpets suffocate their fragile weaving tradition. The
          goal of the project is to preserve and promote Lezgi weaving, and to
          find direct paths to markets to be able to keep as much of the
          profit as possible in the local community.

          > We bought a bunch of yarn, wove beautiful sumakhs, and had great
          success in selling them to the expatriates in Baku. I am back in the
          States for several months, and I am eager to promote our project in
          anyway that I can. I brought back several fine examples of our
          sumakhs, and I would love to show them to anyone with interest.
          While our first batch of yarn was unfortunately commercially dyes,
          we are already developing the natural dye process for all of our
          future pieces.

          > I also have a couple stunning examples of Caucasian pile rugs by a
          partnering producer. I am eaqually interested in finding interest in
          these pile examples. All of the sumakhs and two pile pieces (which
          are naturally dyes) can be seen in our gallery at:
          http://dugullooms.com/pgs/Gallery.html

          > While you are at the website, be sure to meet some of our weavers
          at: http://dugullooms.com/pgs/Weavers.html

          > I am based in San Diego, CA, but I will be driving up the entire
          west coast to Washington in February. If you are any where on the
          west coast, and interest in meeting for tea, it would be my pleasure.

          > Sincerely,
          >
          > Ryan Smith
          >
          > Dugul Looms Founder
          >
          > * Subscribe, unsubscribe, browse messages and archives, post
          and view photos, even chat, at the Rug Fanatics web site:

          > * To Unsubscribe, send a blank email message to:
          >
          > * View and post photos at:

          > * To start a new thread, post your message to:
          >
          > mailto:rug-fanatics@yahoogroups.com | rug-fanatics@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > - and don't forget to give your post a subject!

          > Rugs Oriental rugs Oriental carpet Handmade
          oriental rug Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby

          Service.

          > ---------------------------------

          > Bring words and photos together (easily) with

        • Ryan Smith
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2006
            Hi Barry and Mr. Hyde,

            Let me respond to your emails together. I am in the States now for a few months, and being in Azerbaijan for over 2 years straight. Anyone who is interested in connecting is welcome to call me at 858 472 0022. If I am unable to answer my phone, please be sure to leave a message.

            Mr. Hyde, thank you for your feedback. I would love to hear you opinions on how the designs and color can be improved. It sounds like you know a lot, and we are always eager to improve.

            I would love to show our pieces to anyone in interested on the west coast. I start to head north from San Diegon on Feb. 5, going all the way to Seattle.

            Sincerely,

            Ryan