Agra Satin Run?

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2005
      Hi folks,

      I got a little excited at an auction and purchased a nice looking
      rug.

      Here's the thing- The tag says that it is an from Agra India and has
      a "fine satin pile."

      What the heck? My research tells me that satin is a weave that can
      be made from any of a number of fibers.

      What kind of fiber is this thing?

      I took a snippet of the pile from the tail of a knot on the back of
      the rug and burnt it. It smells like cotton burning, not hair or
      polyester...

      A friend of mine says that there is a fiber made from Poplar that is
      sometimes referred to as satin. Can that be true?

      Heck, I like the rug, even if it's made of paper mache'. What do you
      think? is there a fiber named "satin" or is this rug made of cotton?

      Gary
    • Hakop Alimian
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2005
        Happy New Year Gary,
        Very interesting. I hear first time that the burning
        pile might smell as cotton. For sure its not a
        wool or silk, because they and cotton smell very
        differently.
        The natural satin itself is a very fine fabric made
        of cotton, but I cant imagin of making a yarn out of
        it.
        Hope you find out and let us know.
        Regards,
        Hakop

        --- Gary <ant_attack@...> wrote:

        > Hi folks,
        >
        > I got a little excited at an auction and purchased a
        > nice looking
        > rug.
        >
        > Here's the thing- The tag says that it is an from
        > Agra India and has
        > a "fine satin pile."
        >
        > What the heck? My research tells me that satin is a
        > weave that can
        > be made from any of a number of fibers.
        >
        > What kind of fiber is this thing?
        >
        > I took a snippet of the pile from the tail of a knot
        > on the back of
        > the rug and burnt it. It smells like cotton
        > burning, not hair or
        > polyester...
        >
        > A friend of mine says that there is a fiber made
        > from Poplar that is
        > sometimes referred to as satin. Can that be true?
        >
        > Heck, I like the rug, even if it's made of paper
        > mache'. What do you
        > think? is there a fiber named "satin" or is this rug
        > made of cotton?
        >
        > Gary

      • Iain Stewart
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2005
          Hi Gary -

          I have seen 'Satin' used to describe the artificial silk rugs made in both
          Agra and Srinagar/Kashmir. As artificial silk is mercerised cotton, this
          would fit in with the results of your burning test.

          The artificial silk Agras and Kashmirs I have seen are generally *very*
          glossy, much more so than their real silk counterparts. I have also heard
          that the majority of modern Agra and Kashmiri rugs are knotted in artificial
          silk, rather than natural silk. They are obviously less valuable than the
          real silk items, but enjoy considerable popularity in the market.

          I hope this helps.

          And may I wish a very happy, healthy, prosperous, peaceful and rug-filled
          2005 to all members of Rug Fanatics - may the year ahead see our group grow
          in membership and usefulness even more than it did during 2004, which has
          been our most successful year to date.
          --
          All the best
          Iain Stewart

          I got a little excited at an auction and purchased a nice looking
          rug.

          Here's the thing- The tag says that it is an from Agra India and has
          a "fine satin pile."

          What the heck? My research tells me that satin is a weave that can
          be made from any of a number of fibers.

          What kind of fiber is this thing?

          I took a snippet of the pile from the tail of a knot on the back of
          the rug and burnt it. It smells like cotton burning, not hair or
          polyester...

          A friend of mine says that there is a fiber made from Poplar that is
          sometimes referred to as satin. Can that be true?

          Heck, I like the rug, even if it's made of paper mache'. What do you
          think? is there a fiber named "satin" or is this rug made of cotton?

          Gary

          * Subscribe, unsubscribe, browse messages and archives, post and view
          photos, even chat, at the Rug Fanatics web site:

          * To Unsubscribe, send a blank email message to:

          * View and post photos at:

          * To start a new thread, post your message to:

          mailto:rug-fanatics@yahoogroups.com | rug-fanatics@yahoogroups.com

          - and don't forget to give your post a subject!

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 16, 2005
            Thanks Iain,
            I think you are correct- I think it's mercerized
            cotton.

            Happy new year!
            --- Iain Stewart <webmaster@...> wrote:

            > Hi Gary -
            >
            > I have seen 'Satin' used to describe the artificial
            > silk rugs made in both
            > Agra and Srinagar/Kashmir. As artificial silk is
            > mercerised cotton, this
            > would fit in with the results of your burning test.
            >
            > The artificial silk Agras and Kashmirs I have seen
            > are generally *very*
            > glossy, much more so than their real silk
            > counterparts. I have also heard
            > that the majority of modern Agra and Kashmiri rugs
            > are knotted in artificial
            > silk, rather than natural silk. They are obviously
            > less valuable than the
            > real silk items, but enjoy considerable popularity
            > in the market.
            >
            > I hope this helps.
            >
            > And may I wish a very happy, healthy, prosperous,
            > peaceful and rug-filled
            > 2005 to all members of Rug Fanatics - may the year
            > ahead see our group grow
            > in membership and usefulness even more than it did
            > during 2004, which has
            > been our most successful year to date.
            > --
            > All the best