Chinese carpets

  • Alvin Wong
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2004
      howdy folks,

      I am settling down in Beijing. still waiting for my shipment and
      waiting to unroll my persians in the living room of my apartment.

      I went to visit a carpet shop that was featured in many guidebooks and
      websites: Qian Men Carpet Factory. They have a good selection and
      their prices seem to be less expensive compared to a few carpet shops
      in shopping malls.

      They have a good range of Henan silks that seems to copy Persian
      designs. My wife and I were more interested in Xinjiang, Mongolian and
      Tibetan designs. we came across a very interesting design in a Gansu
      camel saddle blanket. The owner said that they had only one piece.
      They came across it by chance when sourcing for other carpets. The
      price they quoted was RMB1900.

      We like the colours and design of the Xinjiang carpets and the
      pleasant blues of Mongolian carpets. I like the tiger prints of
      Tibetan design but my wife dislike them, so too bad! moreover, they
      might not match my other persian carpets. we will probably come back
      and buy some carpets from this shop.

      they have a website: www.carpetrealm.com

      please see the pictures I have uploaded in the Photos folder.

      email me if any rug fanatics are in Beijing. we can go carpet hunting
      together!
    • Alvin Wong
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2004
        hi folks,

        I have uploaded the pics on my website for easy viewing.
        you can go to my site:
        http://alvinrobina.topcities.com

        or directly to the gallery:
        http://alvinrobina.topcities.com/chinesecarpets30may04/index.htm

        --- In rug-fanatics@yahoogroups.com, "Alvin Wong"
        <trilobite_larvae@y...> wrote:
        > I went to visit a carpet shop that was featured in many guidebooks and
        > websites: Qian Men Carpet Factory. They have a good selection and
      • "Bukhara-carpets.com"
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2004
          Dear Alvin,

          We with interest have looked on web site which you recommended. In section Xinjiang carpets why that is a lot of carpets which are made in Pakistan, and those carpets which are really made in Xinjiang, the age which is specified on these carpets it is necessary to divide a minimum on 2.

          Yours faithfully
          Dmitriy
          www.bukhara-carpets.com

          > I am settling down in Beijing. still waiting for my shipment and
          > waiting to unroll my persians in the living room of my apartment.
          >
          > I went to visit a carpet shop that was featured in many guidebooks and
          > websites: Qian Men Carpet Factory. They have a good selection and
          > their prices seem to be less expensive compared to a few carpet shops
          > in shopping malls.
          >
          > They have a good range of Henan silks that seems to copy Persian
          > designs. My wife and I were more interested in Xinjiang, Mongolian and
          > Tibetan designs. we came across a very interesting design in a Gansu
          > camel saddle blanket. The owner said that they had only one piece.
          > They came across it by chance when sourcing for other carpets. The
          > price they quoted was RMB1900.
          >
          > We like the colours and design of the Xinjiang carpets and the
          > pleasant blues of Mongolian carpets. I like the tiger prints of
          > Tibetan design but my wife dislike them, so too bad! moreover, they
          > might not match my other persian carpets. we will probably come back
          > and buy some carpets from this shop.
          >
          > they have a website: www.carpetrealm.com
          >
          > please see the pictures I have uploaded in the Photos folder.
          >
          > email me if any rug fanatics are in Beijing. we can go carpet hunting
          > together!
          >

          > * Subscribe, unsubscribe, browse messages and archives, post and view photos, even chat, at the Rug Fanatics web site:

          > * To Unsubscribe, send a blank email message to:
          >
          > * View and post photos at:

          > * To start a new thread, post your message to:
          > mailto:rug-fanatics@yahoogroups.com
          > rug-fanatics@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > - and don't forget to give your post a subject!
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Новые серии "Южного парка" каждый день в 18.00 на MTV:
          без цензуры!
          http://r.mail.ru/cln2489/www.mtv.ru/air/programs/main.wbp
        • Alvin Wong
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 5, 2004
            thanks Dmitriy for pointing that out. nice to hear from an expert.

            I did not ask to see any antique carpets at the dealer since I'm only
            an amateur. I was only interested in new carpets. The dealer showed me
            some Mongolian and Xinjiang replicas of antiques.

            have you seen the Xinjiang pictures that I took on my website (not
            those on the shop's website)? were there any Pakistani products? if
            yes, I will slash their asking price or tell them to their face. The
            asking price of the Xinjiang example was RMB4500 (or about US$540). my
            interest is mainly to buy carpets for my apartment, not for antique
            value or re-selling.

            cheers!

            --- In rug-fanatics@yahoogroups.com, "Bukhara-carpets.com"

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 5, 2004
              Dear Alvin,

              I have looked a photo on yours web site - that if to consider Left on the right that photo 4,5,6,7,11,12,13,14 is pakistan carpets.

              Yours faithfully
              Dmitriy
              www.bukhara-carpets.com

              > thanks Dmitriy for pointing that out. nice to hear from an expert.
              >
              > I did not ask to see any antique carpets at the dealer since I'm only
              > an amateur. I was only interested in new carpets. The dealer showed me
              > some Mongolian and Xinjiang replicas of antiques.
              >
              > have you seen the Xinjiang pictures that I took on my website (not
              > those on the shop's website)? were there any Pakistani products? if
              > yes, I will slash their asking price or tell them to their face. The
              > asking price of the Xinjiang example was RMB4500 (or about US$540). my
              > interest is mainly to buy carpets for my apartment, not for antique
              > value or re-selling.
              >
              > cheers!
              >
              > --- In rug-fanatics@yahoogroups.com, "Bukhara-carpets.com"
              > <akulscarpets@m...> wrote:
              > > Dear Alvin,
              > >
              > > We with interest have looked on web site which you recommended. In
              > section Xinjiang carpets why that is a lot of carpets which are made
              > in Pakistan, and those carpets which are really made in Xinjiang, the
              > age which is specified on these carpets it is necessary to divide a
              > minimum on 2.
              >

              > * Subscribe, unsubscribe, browse messages and archives, post and view photos, even chat, at the Rug Fanatics web site:

              > * To Unsubscribe, send a blank email message to:
              >
              > * View and post photos at:

              > * To start a new thread, post your message to:
              > mailto:rug-fanatics@yahoogroups.com
              > rug-fanatics@yahoogroups.com
              >
              > - and don't forget to give your post a subject!
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              "Семейка Осборнов 3" с понедельника по пятницу в 19.00
              на MTV. Скучать не придется!
              Старик Оззи и его семейка - других таких нет!
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 5, 2004
                wow! those were the "xinjiang" examples that I saw.

                how can I distinguish pakistan carpets from Xinjiang? what would be a
                reasoned price for a pakistan carpet?