Turkish knots in IRAN

  • DMITRIY SMOLENSKIY
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 10, 2002
      Dear Fanatics,

      Who  knows where, in what places of Iran make carpets with the turkish knots.
      What knots  uses Qum? I shall be grateful for your help.

      Dmitriy
    • IandC Collins
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 10, 2002
        Hello Dimitry
        The rugs from Qum in my experience have invariably been Persian(sometimes
        called Senneh)- but to cause more confusion the rugs of Senneh in Kurdistan
        are woven with Turkish knots ! Most of the fine rugs such as Kashan,
        Isfahan, Nain, Natanz, Kerman are woven with Persian knots. To give a
        complete list of weaving with Turkish(sometimes called Ghiordes) or Persian
        knots would be quite an undertaking - but the knotting from the Azerbaijan
        region of Northern Iran - in particular Tabriz and Heriz - is generally
        Turkish as are most of the villages of the Hamadan region of Western Iran.
        There are always exceptions - Meshed rugs are woven in both types of knot -
        Turkbaff and Farsibaff - as are the rugs from the Afshar region of South
        Eastern Iran.
        In general books on Iranian weaving specify the knots of the different
        origins - I have always found "The Book of Carpets" by Rheinhard G. Hubel -
        published in German in 1964 and in English in 1971 - to be a useful source
        of information.
        Ian

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 10, 2002
          To Ian's list let me add Luri work from southwest Iran, Kurdish rugs from
          north Khorassan and northwest Iran, some types of so called Bakhtiari from
          Chahar Mahal, Josan Sarouks, and Qajar (frequently called Kurd) from the
          Veramin plain. mc

          The rugs from Qum in my experience have invariably been Persian(sometimes
          called Senneh)- but to cause more confusion the rugs of Senneh in Kurdistan
          are woven with Turkish knots ! Most of the fine rugs such as Kashan,
          Isfahan, Nain, Natanz, Kerman are woven with Persian knots. To give a
          complete list of weaving with Turkish(sometimes called Ghiordes) or Persian
          knots would be quite an undertaking - but the knotting from the Azerbaijan
          region of Northern Iran - in particular Tabriz and Heriz - is generally
          Turkish as are most of the villages of the Hamadan region of Western Iran.
          There are always exceptions - Meshed rugs are woven in both types of knot -
          Turkbaff and Farsibaff - as are the rugs from the Afshar region of South
          Eastern Iran.
          In general books on Iranian weaving specify the knots of the different
          origins - I have always found "The Book of Carpets" by Rheinhard G. Hubel -
          published in German in 1964 and in English in 1971 - to be a useful source
          of information.
          Ian

          >From: "DMITRIY SMOLENSKIY" <adivert@...>
          >To: <rug-fanatics@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: [rug-fanatics] Turkish knots in IRAN
          >Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 22:25:17 +0600
          >
          >Dear Fanatics,
          >
          >Who knows where, in what places of Iran make carpets with the turkish
          >knots.
          >What knots uses Qum? I shall be grateful for your help.
          >
          >Dmitriy

          photos, even chat, at the Rug Fanatics web site:

          * To Unsubscribe, send a blank email message to:

          * View and post photos at:

          * To start a new thread, post your message to:
          mailto:rug-fanatics@yahoogroups.com
          rug-fanatics@yahoogroups.com

          - and don't forget to give your post a subject!

        • Barry O'Connell
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 10, 2002
            Hello Dmitriy,
            I agree that Qum rugs are Persian knotted as Ian and
            Michael mentioned. I got to thinking of what rugs
            might look like a Qum from Iran. There are tribal rugs
            like Baluch and Luri but most people would not confuse
            them. Hamadan type rugs are Turkish knotted but they
            are single wefted so the back is distinctively
            different. About the only rug that I can think of that
            would look like a Qum but have Turkish knots is a
            Tabriz. Recently I looked at a rug being sold as a
            silk Tabriz that was actually a Qum.

            I have been going through the various rug groups
            giving a little more detail such as structure with
            pictures so if you have not seen it yet you can visit
            my site. The Hubel book if you can get it is
            wonderful.
            Best wishes,
            Barry
            http://www.spongobongo.com/