Re: [rug-fanatics] Purchasing Modern Turkmen Rugs

  • Leon Mayeri
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2002
      Re: [rug-fanatics] Purchasing Modern Turkmen Rugs
      The technique, attention to detail, material usage, and rendering of design all play important roles in the finished product and look of modern Turkoman carpets. Of all current production, I have been most impressed with the naturally dyed Turkoman carpets produced by Chris Walter and his associates in the NWFP Pakistan.

      I only hope that the transformation of Afghanistan and its rug infrastructure leads the way to work like this. It has the charm, the imagination, the spirit, the compelling qualities, the decorative features, the collectability, and everything else we look for and cherish in older goods. Its fresh, exciting, and quite striking new production. Hats off to Chris and his people.

      Leon Mayeri
      Golden Age Oriental Rug Importers
      Berkeley, CA
    • davidtekke88
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2002
        Having been a confirmed Turkomaniac for the past twelve years and
        after seeing a veritable slew of Turkmen rugs both old and new, I
        think that as a maxim you would do well to remember that most modern
        as well as antique turkmen rugs are just that, and verry few ascend
        to a class above that of decorative. For every museum quality antique
        example of Turkmen tribal art with deep, exhuberent, archaic drawing
        and faultless saturated color there are one hundred with nice colors
        and slightly crowded elements and five hundred with both faulted dyes
        and drawing. As such are modern rugs. Modern rugs representing the
        pinnacle of weaving are still produced, but in small quantities and
        at premium prices. The primary objection to contemporary production
        lies not so much in the execution as in the materials, as the colors
        tend to be harsh or in too strongly contrasting colors. An interior
        decorator will often choose a rug as the first step in the decorating
        process, and select colors from the rug as coordinates for the color
        scheme. There goes your interior decor market, a major percentage of
        all rug sales rest assured. I believe that a rug entrepreneur would
        do well to produce copies or interpretations of stellar examples of
        antiques in appropriate colors as a way of increasing market share.
        An upper end line made of hand selected,carded, spun, and dyed wool
        woven on a traditional horizontil loom might command a premium
        justifying the the additional labor. When buying modern rugs I
        personally look for the best examples in traditional designs and
        colors that I can find, and while most may not warrent being hung
        upon the wall as a painting, good examples make for verry beautiful
        furnishings. Maybe I will give this wired money order- mail
        entrepreneur a try! - Dave
      • R. John or Jo Ann Howe
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 2002
          Re: [rug-fanatics] Purchasing Modern Turkmen Rugs
          Dear folks -

          Having just worked with Chris and his folks in the Smithsonian Folklife Festival here in Washington, D.C., where Chris had demonstration tents for both his Ersari Turkmen and Tibetan projects, I would agree with Leon's indication and know that his compatriot, Emmett Eiland, does too.  Emmett's book "Oriental Rugs Today," is an excellent window on contemporary hand-spun wool, natural dyes, traditional designs, production.

          On Turkotek we recently discussed some of these same things at length.  Here's the link:

          Regards,

          R. John Howe