RE: [rug-fanatics] Eastern European Rugs

  • Iain Stewart
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2002
      If, as I recall, Ian Collins once worked for OCM (Oriental Carpet
      Manufacturers), then this indeed is authoritative information, as well
      as being extremely useful.

      I wonder what Ian thinks of the rug posted as an attachment by Andrea
      Komaromi - although not a work of any particular significance, it is
      still quite puzzling as far as attribution is concerned, especially in
      light of this information on certain mid-European origins.

      The older, and larger, handknotted European carpets from Austria,
      Bessarabia, Donegal etc. combine a very high current market value with a
      generally low level of expert knowledge - does anyone have any
      identification guidelines or useful references in respect of these
      types.

      The Daventer carpets of The Netherlands represent another interesting
      type about which very little is known outside of Holland itself. Any
      information at all on these - or book references?

      For the record, the so-called Transylvanian (or Seibenberger) rugs made
      up to the eighteenth century, and almost certainly in Anatolia, are all
      Turkish knotted.

      It is interesting that Romanian rugs - the majority of which I believe
      are/were made in Transylvania, although not necessarily by known
      descendants of Count Dracula - employ the Persian knot, despite the
      close connections between the region and the Ottoman Empire, which in
      the case of Hungary, I think, resulted in the adoption of the Turkish
      knot. I seem to recall that Romania, and also Bulgaria, invited some
      Persian weavers or workshop managers to help develop their carpet
      production, and this caused the adoption of the Persian knot in those
      territories, as well as generally Persian-based designs.

      --
      Best regards
      Iain Stewart