Hi

  • jungleee
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2002
      I have two rugs that I bought from Pakistan, they are definately hand
      knowted, and woolen, but i do not know much more about them. Would
      someone else be able to help me out and tell me what exactly they are
      and how much should they be worth.
      I am new here so i will try to post the pictures. Please see if you
      can tell me about these.
    • GreatESC00@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 16, 2003
        Good Day all:

        I am wondering why some of these persian carpets have a strong smell to them? Can anyone fill me in?

        Karen
      • andrew degian
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 16, 2003
          the smell you mention should not be as strong as you say. if carpet is cleaned,and washed smell should dissepear. trace amount of smell could be due to the nature of the wool. after all untreated wool has a some funny odor. other then that should be no smell at all.
          I hope smell you are experiencing is not due to rot. if it is then there are some chemicals available in the market for that. after washing the carpet  that chemical solution should be applied , then smell should dissepear. matter of fact that will take away all kinds of smells.
          good luck.
          Andrew
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 16, 2003
            Karen,

            what type of rug are we talking about ?
          • GreatESC00@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 16, 2003
              Oh sorry everyone, Persian Rugs.

              Karen
            • rgwash
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 16, 2003
                Some rugs are given chemical washings to improve color, handle,
                texture a verity of chemicals can be used or it could be the natural
                smell of the wool or cleaning chemicals?

                R Hyde

                --- In rug-fanatics@yahoogroups.com, GreatESC00@a... wrote:
                > Oh sorry everyone, Persian Rugs.
                >
                > Karen
              • rgwash
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 16, 2003
                  Some rugs are given chemical washings to improve color, handle,
                  texture a verity of chemicals can be used or it could be the natural
                  smell of the wool or cleaning chemicals?

                  R Hyde

                  --- In rug-fanatics@yahoogroups.com, GreatESC00@a... wrote:
                  > Oh sorry everyone, Persian Rugs.
                  >
                  > Karen
                • matt dickie
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 16, 2003
                    Hi Karen,

                    Hard to guess what kind of smell you refer to. Some rugs which have been
                    washed and re-stretched in Iran may also be sprayed with a starch solution
                    during the re-stretching process. This has a distintive, though not
                    unpleasant odour which will gradually disappear.

                    Some older tribal rugs and trappings which have been used in their original
                    context may retain goat and woodsmoke odours for years.

                    Regards,
                    Matt Dickie,
                    Afshar gallery

                    >From: GreatESC00@...
                    >To: rug-fanatics@...
                    >Subject: [rug-fanatics] Hi
                    >Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 07:36:48 EDT
                    >
                    >Good Day all:
                    >
                    >I am wondering why some of these persian carpets have a strong smell to
                    >them?
                    >Can anyone fill me in?
                    >
                    >Karen

                    MSN Instant Messenger now available on Australian mobile phones.�Go to
                    http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilecentral/hotmail_messenger.asp
                  • GreatESC00@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 18, 2003
                      Dear Sirs:

                      Thank you all very much for all the information.

                      Thanks Again

                      Karen

                    • GreatESC00@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 18, 2003
                        Hi again:

                        I was wondering if anyone on this group sells rugs. I am looking for a 4 x 10 with lots of color and a vase design. I only want rugs from Iran. If anyone can help guide me as I think the last purchase I made was OK but probably not the best deal I could have made. I paid a little to much, but I love the rug so it stays. My husband says these rugs don't belong in the kitchen but I think I can find one that will look absolutely beautiful in my kitchen. Any advice or sites would be great. I have gone to many sites  and as I stated before am a little overwhelmed with all of the rugs.

                        Thanks again

                        Karen
                      • T.A.
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 18, 2003
                          Dear Karen,

                          You could try Barry O'Connell's website, he dedicates his site to buyers almost all over the world, www.spongobongo.com , click on his Trusted dealers list either in the US or outside. All the best of luck.

                          Mr. Talal Abdulla
                          The Rugsouk
                          Kuwait

                           GreatESC00@... wrote:
[...]