[rug-fanatics] Sennah kilims

  • langmore@bigpond.com
      Subject: Sennah kilims
      Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 11:23:16 -0000
      From: langmore@...
      To: rug-fanatics@egroups.com

      Greetings to those in the group. I know my question is a difficult one to answer via e-mail. Nonetheless, I thought I'd send out a note and see if anyone has any insight.

      While living in Singapore I bought an expensive Sennah kilim from a reputable dealer. It is certainly unique based on those I have seen. The dealer told me the rug was an early 20th century rug. I have a certificate from the dealer dating the piece as early 20th century.

      I have since moved to Sydney and taken the rug into two dealers. Both pronounced the rug on a cursory inspection as a new piece. They valued it at about 1/4 of the price I paid for it. I'm confused. The only dealer of the two to give me any idea as to why he thought it was new described it as such based on the fact that the silk warps were not unraveled on the ends.

      Could they be wrong? Could it be the rug is simply in better condition than pieces they are accustomed to? (Note: The dealer I bought from certainly had significantly more antique pieces in much better condition than what I have found in the stores here.) Does anyone reading this have particular knowledge of Senneh kilims? If so I can e-mail some pictures of the rug. It's a mystery I would like to solve, if for no other reason to satisfy my curiosity.

      Thanks and regards.

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/rug-fanatics
    • RGoldst507@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 28, 1999
        I am no expert at all on Kilims, but would it not be very unusual to have a
        kilim with a silk foundation? If the silk is mercerised cotton then the piece
        is probably new. If the silk is genuine this may well suggest the piece is
        older and woven in or near Senneh before it was flattened in the Iran-Iraq
        war.

        There is supposed to be a test for silk vs mercerised cotton; you light it
        and see how it burns! If it just smoulders I think that means its silk....!
        R. Goldstein

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/rug-fanatics