RUE - This is an old Pennsylvania name founded in that state early in the eighteenth century, and is presumed to have gone thither from New Jersey. Traditional says it is a Huguenot family, tracing back to France... The descendants of Jacques (James) LeRoy, who settled in Bergen county, New Jersey, and on Staten Island, spelled the name in various forms, and it may be that the Bucks county family is descended from them. The first record of the name Rue is the grant of two hundred acres of land "above the Falls of Delaware" in New Jersey, in 1609, to John Rue of Staten Island. He may have been the father or grandfather of James. (Lee, 1910)
- Lineages and Surnames
- Jul 2, 1998
- This is a restricted group.
- Attachments are permitted.
- Members cannot hide email address.
- Listed in Yahoo Groups directory.
- Membership requires approval.
- Messages require approval.
- All members can post messages.