Zildjian K/Z hats

  • Rex Hutto
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 2, 2004
      I have a chance to pick up a pair if K/Z hats at a good price. Anyone use
      these cymbals? What can you tell me about them? How would you compare them
      to the old work-house New Beats? What styles of music are they best suited
      for? What is stick definition, swish and chick like?
    • Jason Brookens
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
        I don't own them, but I can say that K hats are the best I've ever heard. I
        can't wait till I can afford a pair. I don't know about a K/Z mix, but the
        K's have excellent stick definition. I was really blown away by the chick
        sound. Unlike any other. Fantastic!

        Jason

        >From: "Rex Hutto" <N2theSon@...>
        >To: <rudiments@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [rudiments] Zildjian K/Z hats
        >Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 23:52:51 -0500
        >
        >I have a chance to pick up a pair if K/Z hats at a good price. Anyone use
        >these cymbals? What can you tell me about them? How would you compare them
        >to the old work-house New Beats? What styles of music are they best suited
        >for? What is stick definition, swish and chick like?

        Frustrated with dial-up? Lightning-fast Internet access for as low as
        $29.95/month. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200360ave/direct/01/
      • Tim Hwang
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
          Hey Rex,

          I used to own a pair until someone stole them from my cymbal bag at a gig in
          Hollywood. Big bummer. I had the 13" pair that were my favorites for quite
          some time. The K's are darker and warmer in quality over the A's and Z's. So
          by nature, they have a jazz texture to them with less rebound and more
          embrace of the stick. The Z's are bright, obnoxious, and cutting. They
          virtually can rip through any shredder guitar player who boasts of their
          huge Marshall stack.

          So, when you put this combination together, you get some interesting
          combination of tonalities as you play them. If you play it with the K on
          top, you'll get more warmth accompanied by a solid chick as it crunches
          against the Z. If you place the Z on top, you'll get a ton of clarity, stick
          definition, and bright sounds. This combination can be used for virtually
          any genre. The 13"s are not a standard pair, but great for recording as they
          sound tighter.

          That's my 2.43 cents,

          Tim

          From: "Jason Brookens" <drummerjdogg@...>
          To: rudiments@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: RE: [rudiments] Zildjian K/Z hats
          Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 18:04:44 -0500

          I don't own them, but I can say that K hats are the best I've ever heard. I
          can't wait till I can afford a pair. I don't know about a K/Z mix, but the
          K's have excellent stick definition. I was really blown away by the chick
          sound. Unlike any other. Fantastic!

          Jason

          >From: "Rex Hutto" <N2theSon@...>
          >To: <rudiments@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: [rudiments] Zildjian K/Z hats
          >Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 23:52:51 -0500
          >
          >I have a chance to pick up a pair if K/Z hats at a good price. Anyone use
          >these cymbals? What can you tell me about them? How would you compare them
          >to the old work-house New Beats? What styles of music are they best suited
          >for? What is stick definition, swish and chick like?

          Frustrated with dial-up? Lightning-fast Internet access for as low as
          $29.95/month. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200360ave/direct/01/

          www.timhwang.com

          Create a Job Alert on MSN Careers and enter for a chance to win $1000!
          http://msn.careerbuilder.com/promo/kaday.htm?siteid=CBMSN_1K&sc_extcmp=JS_JASweep_MSNHotm2
        • John Cornish
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 3, 2004
            You can go to ythe Zildjian website and download any of thier cymbal sounds
            They load in a min. or2 so no biggy

            They are nice I almost bought a set of 13" but came across 12" sabians at a steal and couldn't resist.

            Happy Drumming

            JD
            I don't own them, but I can say that K hats are the best I've ever heard. I
            can't wait till I can afford a pair. I don't know about a K/Z mix, but the
            K's have excellent stick definition. I was really blown away by the chick
            sound. Unlike any other. Fantastic!

            Jason

            >From: "Rex Hutto" <N2theSon@...>
            >To: <rudiments@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: [rudiments] Zildjian K/Z hats
            >Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 23:52:51 -0500
            >
            >I have a chance to pick up a pair if K/Z hats at a good price. Anyone use
            >these cymbals? What can you tell me about them? How would you compare them
            >to the old work-house New Beats? What styles of music are they best suited
            >for? What is stick definition, swish and chick like?

          • edo
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 4, 2004
              Hi rex,
              i use K/Z 14" hats for years, and i think Tim Hwang's explaination is
              everything and very clear. I love my hats.

              edo
              > I have a chance to pick up a pair if K/Z hats at a good price. Anyone use
              > these cymbals? What can you tell me about them? How would you compare them
              > to the old work-house New Beats? What styles of music are they best suited
              > for? What is stick definition, swish and chick like?
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Ten Marco
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 4, 2004
                Hi

                Sometimes when i'm playing at hi-hat/snare my sticks touch themselves. What to
                do to solve this ? Low the snare ow to put the hi-hat higher ? What's the best
                diference in height between the hi-hat and the snare ? Or try to change the
                position of the hi-hat ?

                Thanx

              • Tim Hwang
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 4, 2004
                  Hey Ten,

                  The higher you raise your hi-hat, that just means more work to raise your
                  arms and possibly sacrificing your technique. The lower you raise your
                  snare, it will pose the same problem. Also, you won't get a clean rim-shot
                  consistently if you're diving down to hit your snare.

                  Even if your snare and hi-hat space is tight, you can get a HUGE crack by
                  utilizing the Moehller technique. This works for both traditional and
                  matched grip.

                  However, if you like the hi-hats set up really high for that visual MTV
                  drummer effect, go right ahead. Just don't hurt yourself!

                  Cheers,
                  Tim

                  From: Ten Marco <tenmarco@...>
                  To: rudiments@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: [rudiments] hit-hat/snare
                  Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 15:00:57 -0300

                  Hi

                  Sometimes when i'm playing at hi-hat/snare my sticks touch themselves. What
                  do to solve this ? Low the snare ow to put the hi-hat higher ? What's the
                  best
                  diference in height between the hi-hat and the snare ? Or try to change the
                  position of the hi-hat ?

                  Thanx

                  www.timhwang.com

                  Fast. Reliable. Get MSN 9 Dial-up - 3 months for the price of 1!
                  (Limited-time Offer) http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/
                • john cullan
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 5, 2004
                    Like Tim says the further up / down the hi hats / snare are the more work you have to do.

                    Even if you do not want to use the Moehller technique I would think that the problem lies in not correctly excecuting the current technique you are using as opposed to the layout of your kit.

                    Just a wild shot off the bat maybe try and raise your right wrist while playing the snare so that the hand is in the same position and making the same motion as if was playing the snare ? (assuming you're right handed and play the hi hat with your right hand)

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 5, 2004
                        This is a classic dilemma, especially for beginners. John Bonham had this
                        problem alot, and he used to call it "knitting", especially when he would get
                        his sticks crossed-up coming off snare/hats for a fill.

                        There are a number of solutions, some mentioned here. Raising the right arm
                        will certainly help. I would also caution you NOT to rest your left hand on
                        your thigh - a very bad habit, since your left arm goes completely slack (as
                        it is now resting), and it takes alot more energy to lift it off your leg than
                        it does to just lift it if you're already holding it in the air just above
                        your leg. This extra effort could be contributing to an innacurracy in your
                        snare hand.

                        Alot of this is also due to a simple lack of coordination, which will come
                        with experience.

                        However, these are all traditional "fixes" to the problem. Not meaning to
                        sound like a one-trick pony, you might want to radically change your
                        ergonomics by either playing your hats with your left hand (this will take
                        alot of practice), getting a cable hi-hat and moving it to the right side of
                        the kit over the floor tom, or putting the hi-hat in front of the snare.

                        Radical measures, to be sure, but sometimes radical changes result in drastic
                        improvements in style and technique.

                        Tomas
                        rudiments owner

                        -
                      • David_Scharff@administaff.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 5, 2004
                          Where can I find out more about the Moehller technique? I seem to recall hearing about in a Jim Chapin interview. I'd like to try it. Anybody know of any links or publications?

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 5, 2004
                            Hey guys,

                            I just wanted to send you a website to check out.

                            This guy (Matt Wille) has started a company and he manufactures drums.
                            This is really interesting. Instead of the shells being plyed it is actually in solid wood sections. A real interesting technique. I have checked out his shop and he does any custom work with any wood
                            imaginable. He really knowledgable about the types of wood. If you have a certain sound you are looking for just describe it to him. He
                            basically focuses on snare drums but has begun whole kit manufacturing. I hope
                            he can do something for you.

                            Here is his website www.globaldrumco.net

                            Tell him the drummer from The New Relics sent you (Bryan).

                            www.thenewrelics.com

                            He might work something out for you. good luck.
                          • Todd Kennedy
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 5, 2004
                              Dom Famularo has a very good book titled "It's your move". He goes over
                              many griping techniques as well as the Moeller technique. I think the
                              book costs like $19.95. You can check it out at
                              http://www.domfamularo.com

                              From: Ten Marco <tenmarco@...>
                              To: rudiments@yahoogroups.com
                              Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 15:00:57 -0300

                              Hi

                              Sometimes when i'm playing at hi-hat/snare my sticks touch themselves.
                              What
                              do to solve this ? Low the snare ow to put the hi-hat higher ? What's
                              the
                              best
                              diference in height between the hi-hat and the snare ? Or try to change
                              the
                              position of the hi-hat ?

                              Thanx

                              www.timhwang.com

                              _____

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Tim Hwang
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 5, 2004
                                Hey Dave,

                                To put in a nutshell, the moehller technique is a combination of whip, tap,
                                and prep stroke. Imagine yourself holding a whip, and raising it up to make
                                a nice crack. This is essentially what you're doing with the stick.

                                The tap stroke is hit to differentiate from the accented whip stroke. The
                                prep stroke will prepare you for another whip stroke. Keep in mind that this
                                is using the same hand. If you're using both hands and have a variation of
                                accented notes, you'll be using a combination of the whip, tap, and prep
                                motion.

                                The Vic Firth website shows a great visual of how that is done by Jim
                                Chapin. He makes it look like butta!

                                Cheers,
                                Tim

                                From: <David_Scharff@...>
                                To:
                                <drum4myg@...>,<tenmarco@...>,<rudiments@yahoogroups.com>
                                Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 10:35:50 -0600

                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 6, 2004
                                  As one member said vicfirth.com has video clips.
                                  I also reccomend Dom Famulro's Book It's Your Move.
                                  It has multple strokes drawn by an artist.(Joe Bergamini) well worth the price. Lots of exercises.
                                  If you ever get a chance to go to one of his clinics he is a very good soloist and his outlook on life is inspirational to say the least.
                                  No I am not related to him but I have taken private and master classes with him.

                                  On the sticks hitting just play more it will go away.
                                  I think I might have moved the my hi hat back towards me ( not towards the snare) this might have helped me but nothing replaces lots of playing.

                                  Enjoy each note
                                  JD

                                  Good luck----- Original Message -----