RE: [rudiments] The problem with neighbours is....

  • Ian Docherty
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 6, 2003
      I traded my TD-6 for a TD-8 and the mesh heads on the "drums" are so
      much better than those on the TD-6. More realistic in terms of feel.
      Tuneable in the sense that you can adjust tension. Almost silent.
      However, the mesh heads are, as Neil says, significantly smaller.
      I viewed this as an advantage and would aid my "targetting".
      At the moment though, I find I tend to drift across the drum head and
      hit the rim. Something I don't do on a full size snare.

      The TD-8 has a "brushes" setting for use with (nylon) brushes and does a
      reasonable job.

      However the cymbals are still rubber pads. They swing like real cymbals
      but are smaller. When you hit them, its sounds like you are hitting a
      rubber pad.

      The TD-10 HiHat is much better in terms of feel and size than the TD-8.
      It is harder to get the finesse that you can with real hihat.

      The kick uses your own pedal and is placed just as it would in an
      acoustic kit.
      But it thumps. Probably because you can kick it pretty hard.

      All in all it is vastly quieter than an acoustic, and mostly quieter
      than a rubber pad practice kit or roland TD-8.

      The tapping of sticks against rubber can be just as irritating to others
      as hitting a real drum. One could even argue its worse because there is
      no tone.
      It's literally monotonous.

      Just my 2p worth.

      Incidentally, I just gigged for the first time with the TD-8 and it went
      down really well, although it looked out of place.
      But I was able to set up 5 different kits to give different sounds to
      the songs we were playing. A rock set, a jazz set (with cross sticks on
      the snare and splash), a brushes set and a couple of novelty sets which
      included timpani, cowbell and hand-clapping.
      It just added a different dimension to the gig.

      I wouldn't advocate using it exclusively. As Neil says, it does affect
      your playing on the acoustic.
      I went into the studio after to play an acoustic and adjusting to the
      volume again took some time.
      I expect its like driving different cars. The more you drive the
      different kits (cars) the easier and quicker it is to mentally switch.

      Cheers

      Ian
    • Erwin Schwarz
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 6, 2003
        While we are on the topic of triggers, I understand people putting triggers
        on practice pads etc. but I've also heard of drummers putting triggers on
        their acoustic set. Why would you do this? does this replace micing your
        kit? Doesn't the acoustic sound conflict with the electronic sound?

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 6, 2003
          John

          Yeah, I can understand that, of course.
          You could probably hire an assassin and do away with the neighbours
          cheaper than you could buy an e-kit.

          I guess I was just trying to give you some pros and cons for an
          electronic kit.
          They sound (no pun intended) like an ideal solution but still have their
          own problems.
          Even with kits with mesh heads, you still gotta hit a cymbal-like device
          of some description. So you'll still get a noise.

          Good luck,

          Ian
        • David_Scharff@administaff.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 6, 2003
            What a great idea. I will act on it. I live on the left coast of USA, I
            have not seen the mesh heads you're talking about, I hope I find them they
            sound ideal. If anybody knows a good place to find them in northern
            California, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me.

            I too experienced a delay getting back into the feel of an acoustic set
            after playing my Rolands. So now I almost never play my Rolands. I have
            put Sound Off mufflers on my drum heads; they're better than nothing but
            totally a not realistic drum set feel.

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 7, 2003
              Cymbals are the only problem area for practice....muffler pads/small towels/electrical tape come in handy. I've got no idea how to muffle them and retain a decent tone - I can make them quiet but they sound pretty dull!

              Still, it makes playing on stage more fun doesn't it? Hehe

              Neil