Re: [rudiments] carbon fibre sticks

  • john cullan
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 17, 2003
      Hey everyone, long time reader first time writer
      I dont know about the envirnonmental issues but I wouldn't imagine that the carbo sticks are incredibly environ friendly esp as they unfortunatley wont last forever (sorry Hesed).
      I'm a relativley new drummer and don't practice anything spectacularly hard or fast but have gone through 2 sets of Ahead sticks. Recently I'm using Zildjian sticks after a mate gave me a pair of his and they lasted longer than either of the sets of Ahead sticks or indeed a pair made up from the remains.
      I dont know if I got duff ones or the thinner ones are less reliable than the thicker ones (I use 5A) but the extra cost made them a no no for me when I could get woodies that lasted longer. It's a shame because I quite liked the feel and as someone said earlier black sticks are cool and the black wood sticks never look as good.
      "Work like you don't need the money,
      love like you've never been hurt,
      f*** like you're being filmed,
      and drum like no-bodys listening"

      Edner Hesed Tendero <edhesed@...> wrote:hey everybody since were on the topic of sticks i thought i might comment.

      i've been using the "ahead" carbo sticks and i think they're not bad,the price would could be improved, but nevertheless it's pretty good.

      i appreciate the sound and the it's less taxing to the hands, especially when playing for hours and hours, i'm sure you know what i mean.
      there is drawback though, it just doesn't feel right...i dunno..the first time i said to myself that eventually i'll get the hang of it, but without the aroma of chipped wood, playing just isn't the same.

      i agree with ian that these carbo sticks would last forever, and maybe spare some tree's.

      very intereseting though, do drummers have environmental issues? i mean all the wood we're using, there must be some effect?

      later
      Hesed

      p.s. i've been with the egroup for quite a while just don't write that much

      Check out the new EudoraMail at
      http://www.eudoramail.com

    • john cullan
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 5, 2003
        I used to have the perfect neighbours.
        They would never complain about my incessant practicing of dums late into the night (I work days till quite late) and would even suffer the occasional bash without the silencers. Recently out of respect for this I very rarely practice in the house without the silencers and have been toying with the idea of getting an electronic kit thus keeping the noise level to a minimum whilst having the much more realistic sounds albeit through headphones.
        Unfotunatley these neighbours moved out and the new ones have complained already...even though I haven't removed the silencers since they moved in........and very ealry in the night.
        My first instinct is to dispose of these neighbours and feed them to my pet goldfish and hope for better the next time, however to try and keep up neighbourly relations I think it would be better to get the electronic kit.
        Also unfotunatley is the fact that my hand is being forced and am on the verge of losing all my available funds on the purchase of a 68 vw beetle that I have been for which I have been searching for 6 months...
        So to cut to the chase I need to find an electronic kit that is going to be reasonable to practice with (have a simulated kick drum pad and hi hat pedal) that is going to sound reasonable and cost a pitance and easy to find second hand. Either that or invest in some more goldfish.
        Does such a kit exist ?
        Does anyone have one or know of anyone that is selling one ?
        (preferably in London area)
        Cheers J
        p.s. saw Ministry at the Astoria the other night and they totally rocked

      • BriCfi
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 5, 2003
          This is why I play Rolands...I can practice at 10 or 11 at night and not wake up the wife and kids! Being a 'techie' type, it also has some toys to play around with...

          Bri
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Julian Mamo
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 5, 2003
            john
            Yep, easy. I use a Yamaha DD11 which I picked up S/H for £25.00. I have even
            gigged with it where space was really cramped by feeding it through a bass
            guitar amp. I like it. It is not the same but makes a change. Next toy is a
            bodhran. One little drum yet so versatile.
            Julian

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 5, 2003
              Thanks for that Bricfi and Julian,

              though would I be right in saying that the DD11 does the hi-hat pedal and the bass drum is via a switch with a fixed velocity ?

              Last question for the day promise....
              Does anyone know of a UK based website / London based shop that specifically sells Remo practice pads ? specifically product number 442968 the 10" Remo Tunable Practice Pad ?

              Cheers j
              Julian Mamo <julian.mamo@...> wrote:john

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 5, 2003
                John
                The DD11 has only the one foot switch that is assignable to any drum voice.
                I prefer it as the bass but it is velocity sensitive like all the pads. You
                have to up a model or two to get two foot switches. Depends how many pads
                you need to practise your stuff but you can have a closed and open hi-hat
                pads. I have no trouble swapping over.
                Cheers
                Julian

                > They would never complain about my incessant practicing of dums late into
                the night (I work days till quite late) and would even suffer the occasional
                bash without the silencers. Recently out of respect for this I very rarely
                practice in the house without the silencers and have been toying with the
                idea of getting an electronic kit thus keeping the noise level to a minimum
                whilst having the much more realistic sounds albeit through headphones.
                > Unfotunatley these neighbours moved out and the new ones have complained
                already...even though I haven't removed the silencers since they moved
                in........and very ealry in the night.
                > My first instinct is to dispose of these neighbours and feed them to my
                pet goldfish and hope for better the next time, however to try and keep up
                neighbourly relations I think it would be better to get the electronic kit.
                > Also unfotunatley is the fact that my hand is being forced and am on the
                verge of losing all my available funds on the purchase of a 68 vw beetle
                that I have been for which I have been searching for 6 months...
                > So to cut to the chase I need to find an electronic kit that is going to
                be reasonable to practice with (have a simulated kick drum pad and hi hat
                pedal) that is going to sound reasonable and cost a pitance and easy to find
                second hand. Either that or invest in some more goldfish.
                > Does such a kit exist ?
                > Does anyone have one or know of anyone that is selling one ?
                > (preferably in London area)
                > Cheers J
                > p.s. saw Ministry at the Astoria the other night and they totally rocked

              • N MacLeod
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 6, 2003
                  Hey man

                  Electronic kits are good, but I found that my Roland one made a lot of noise, certainly enough for people walking past my house to hear the noise of the pads being struck. Maybe it was just the vibrations that made them look around in a confused fashion.... A cheap way to practice is to buy mesh heads (like the ones used for triggering) and put them on your drums. Whilst its a little bit of hassle changing heads every time you want to gig/practice, the benefits are that you can play on your stage kit without disturbing people. You can also tune the mesh heads to get a tone, which is useful for working out drum parts quietly!

                  Also (and I'd be interested to see if anyone else has found this), I spent a long time just playing an electronic kit - when I returned to play an acoustic kit I found that the considerably different sizes of everything and the different response given by drum heads to rubberised trigger pads really threw me out. It took a few practice sessions to get back into the feel of the acoustic kit. Now I only practice on the acoustic kit.

                  Hope this is of some use - as you are near the London area you could get trigger heads from the wembley centre fairly cheaply, I paid about �60 for bass/3 toms/snare. This is good value considering it gives you a quiet practice kit!

                  Neil
[...]

                  This e-mail and any attachment(s) are intended for the
                  above-named only and may be confidential. If you have
                  received this message in error please delete it and
                  notify the sender immediately. You must not copy or
                  disclose the contents to any third party. Any views
                  expressed in this message are personal and not
                  necessarily those of St Albans District Council.

                  Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure
                  or error free. Any attachment(s) to this e-mail are
                  believed to be free from virus, but it is the responsibility
                  of the recipient to make all the necessary virus checks.

                • john cullan
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 6, 2003
                    Thanks for the advice everyone, its all good stuff and has lead me to my thinking of the moment which is either
                    - Use the mesh heads
                    - Get some mesh heads and try and trigger them through a drum module (best of both worlds ?)

                    - Get some equipment together and a drum module and build an electronic kit from practice pads.
                    My problem is I dont want to go to this expense / hassle if the volume is still going to be too high, I am after all already using silencers. I think the main problem is the bass drum and keeping that quite (my teacher says that recently my kick has increased 3 fold in volume which might account for the recent complaints). Currently I am using premier wood back / hard foam pad silencers which against the heads are fairly quite except the bass which is quite loud.
                    So what does anyone have any advice about the relative Mesh head versus Practice pad / Electronic kit volume differences ? It worries me that I'll start down one route only to find it is still too loud.
                    Also any advice on modules ?
                    There seem to be a few Alesis D4 banging around for around £100 which if I understand correctly can be rigged for opening and closing of the hi hat during play. Cant find any DD11's unfortunatley :( which is a shame cos I coulda ripped the piezo's out and rigged up a electro kit real easy.

                    N MacLeod <n.macleod@...> wrote:Hey man

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 6, 2003
                      Well I've practiced with both, and the mesh heads were far far quieter and produced a discernible tone. The advantages of an electronic kit are many though, in terms of sounds and so on. If it helps, I was using a Roland TDK6, which has fairly hard rubber pads, but there are some higher priced kits that feature mesh heads in the Roland range (I don't know about other brands), and these wouldn't be so loud in terms of vibrational noise.

                      If you used mesh heads on an acoustic kit, you could get some cheap triggers on the heads, get a drum brain and have an instant electronic kit (which could be converted back to an acoustic kit in 10-15 minutes by changing heads). Ddrum redshot triggers are good, and cost half the price of the main ddrum triggers in the UK (actually they are exactly the same as the top range ones, but have less protective casing). I think you can get them new for �15-25 per trigger. Cheap drum brains usually come up pretty regularly in the UK on www.loot.co.uk or e-bay.

                      Whatcha gonna do? Hehe :-)

                      Neil

                      This e-mail and any attachment(s) are intended for the
                      above-named only and may be confidential. If you have
                      received this message in error please delete it and
                      notify the sender immediately. You must not copy or
                      disclose the contents to any third party. Any views
                      expressed in this message are personal and not
                      necessarily those of St Albans District Council.

                      Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure
                      or error free. Any attachment(s) to this e-mail are
                      believed to be free from virus, but it is the responsibility
                      of the recipient to make all the necessary virus checks.

                    • Ian Docherty
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 6, 2003
                        I traded my TD-6 for a TD-8 and the mesh heads on the "drums" are so
                        much better than those on the TD-6. More realistic in terms of feel.
                        Tuneable in the sense that you can adjust tension. Almost silent.
                        However, the mesh heads are, as Neil says, significantly smaller.
                        I viewed this as an advantage and would aid my "targetting".
                        At the moment though, I find I tend to drift across the drum head and
                        hit the rim. Something I don't do on a full size snare.

                        The TD-8 has a "brushes" setting for use with (nylon) brushes and does a
                        reasonable job.

                        However the cymbals are still rubber pads. They swing like real cymbals
                        but are smaller. When you hit them, its sounds like you are hitting a
                        rubber pad.

                        The TD-10 HiHat is much better in terms of feel and size than the TD-8.
                        It is harder to get the finesse that you can with real hihat.

                        The kick uses your own pedal and is placed just as it would in an
                        acoustic kit.
                        But it thumps. Probably because you can kick it pretty hard.

                        All in all it is vastly quieter than an acoustic, and mostly quieter
                        than a rubber pad practice kit or roland TD-8.

                        The tapping of sticks against rubber can be just as irritating to others
                        as hitting a real drum. One could even argue its worse because there is
                        no tone.
                        It's literally monotonous.

                        Just my 2p worth.

                        Incidentally, I just gigged for the first time with the TD-8 and it went
                        down really well, although it looked out of place.
                        But I was able to set up 5 different kits to give different sounds to
                        the songs we were playing. A rock set, a jazz set (with cross sticks on
                        the snare and splash), a brushes set and a couple of novelty sets which
                        included timpani, cowbell and hand-clapping.
                        It just added a different dimension to the gig.

                        I wouldn't advocate using it exclusively. As Neil says, it does affect
                        your playing on the acoustic.
                        I went into the studio after to play an acoustic and adjusting to the
                        volume again took some time.
                        I expect its like driving different cars. The more you drive the
                        different kits (cars) the easier and quicker it is to mentally switch.

                        Cheers

                        Ian
                      • Erwin Schwarz
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 6, 2003
                          While we are on the topic of triggers, I understand people putting triggers
                          on practice pads etc. but I've also heard of drummers putting triggers on
                          their acoustic set. Why would you do this? does this replace micing your
                          kit? Doesn't the acoustic sound conflict with the electronic sound?

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 6, 2003
                            John

                            Yeah, I can understand that, of course.
                            You could probably hire an assassin and do away with the neighbours
                            cheaper than you could buy an e-kit.

                            I guess I was just trying to give you some pros and cons for an
                            electronic kit.
                            They sound (no pun intended) like an ideal solution but still have their
                            own problems.
                            Even with kits with mesh heads, you still gotta hit a cymbal-like device
                            of some description. So you'll still get a noise.

                            Good luck,

                            Ian
                          • David_Scharff@administaff.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 6, 2003
                              What a great idea. I will act on it. I live on the left coast of USA, I
                              have not seen the mesh heads you're talking about, I hope I find them they
                              sound ideal. If anybody knows a good place to find them in northern
                              California, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me.

                              I too experienced a delay getting back into the feel of an acoustic set
                              after playing my Rolands. So now I almost never play my Rolands. I have
                              put Sound Off mufflers on my drum heads; they're better than nothing but
                              totally a not realistic drum set feel.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 7, 2003
                                Cymbals are the only problem area for practice....muffler pads/small towels/electrical tape come in handy. I've got no idea how to muffle them and retain a decent tone - I can make them quiet but they sound pretty dull!

                                Still, it makes playing on stage more fun doesn't it? Hehe

                                Neil