Re: [rudiments] wooden rims for a snare

  • tomas
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30, 2002
      I'm a big-time rim-shot man. I would totally destroy wooden rims, so I
      know enough to stay away from them. Therefore, I have never
      investigated them and know nothing about how they affect the tone.

      mickeyparke913@... wrote:

      > What are the pros and cons of wooden rims, b/c i am think of buying some for
      > my snare. are they better then metal to they give the drum a better tone, etc
      >

      > ~TJ

    • Andrew Graham
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1 3:34 PM
        yamaha came up with a device which is an attachable wooden rim, for rim
        shots, some have tamborine bells in them. pros and cons i would say are ey
        sound nice (i havent used many, i heard one -it sounded lovely) problems-
        tuning problems i think someone else mentioned, not too heavy duty, too many
        heavy rims shots will take them apart. i cant think of what the yamaha thing
        is called try looking somewhere on www.yamaha-music.co.uk

        >From: mickeyparke913@...
        >To: rudiments@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [rudiments] wooden rims for a snare
        >Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 17:15:44 EST
        >
        >What are the pros and cons of wooden rims, b/c i am think of buying some
        >for
        >my snare. are they better then metal to they give the drum a better tone,
        >etc
        >

        > ~TJ

        i want to wear a pair of dark sunglasses.

      • Neil MacLeod
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2 12:39 AM
          The Yamaha attachment is called a Groove Wedge, and basically consist of a solid wooden rim section that bolts onto your snare via the tuning lugs. I have one and I have to say it's very good - you can really cut through with your rimshots. I think it was about £25, buts it too early in the morning for me to convert that to $ unfortunately. :-)

          Neil
          www.urbannative.org.uk
          yamaha came up with a device which is an attachable wooden rim, for rim
          shots, some have tamborine bells in them. pros and cons i would say are ey
          sound nice (i havent used many, i heard one -it sounded lovely) problems-
          tuning problems i think someone else mentioned, not too heavy duty, too many
          heavy rims shots will take them apart. i cant think of what the yamaha thing
          is called try looking somewhere on www.yamaha-music.co.uk

          >From: mickeyparke913@...
          >To: rudiments@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [rudiments] wooden rims for a snare
          >Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 17:15:44 EST
          >
          >What are the pros and cons of wooden rims, b/c i am think of buying some
          >for
          >my snare. are they better then metal to they give the drum a better tone,
          >etc
          >

          >              ~TJ

          i want to wear a pair of dark sunglasses.

          Buy Stock for $4.
          No Minimums.
          FREE Money 2002.
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/6GDALA/VovDAA/ySSFAA/kkLolB/TM