Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Telecommuting AWS EC2 system administrator for Ruby on Rails site for a nonprof

Expand Messages
  • ds_dev700
    We are looking for a part-time system administrator for 2-3 hours a week. We are moving from Slicehost to Amazon AWS / EC2. We especially need someone who
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2010
    • 0 Attachment
      We are looking for a part-time system administrator for 2-3 hours a week. We are moving from Slicehost to Amazon AWS / EC2.

      We especially need someone who knows EC2's auto-scaling and ELB load-balancing. Or who has existing auto scripts (or can quickly do them) to bring up and take down EC2 instances based on traffic needs.

      We have about 90% of it figured out, and we need about 6 to 10 hours of help in the next week or two with the remaining 10%. Then we need about 2-3 hours per week on average of ongoing system admin after that.


      Our first Web site is below, and most of the initial time would be on this -

      http://dailysource.org/

      The site's mission is to bring high-quality news and information from around the Internet to the public in order to help them and the world. You can read more about it here -

      http://dailysource.org/about/site
      http://dailysource.org/about/benefits


      We are also starting a new site whose focus is on helping the people in the world in the greatest need, especially the 2 billion extremely poor in Africa, Asia and Latin America who are trying to live on less than $2 a day:

      http://leastof.org/about/intro
      http://www.leastof.org/
      http://leastof.org/about/samplepages

      Check out the innovative World Wealth Calculator on the front page, that the top economist at the World Bank volunteered to help us create.

      We developed DailySource using Ruby on Rails, MySQL, and a good amount of AJAX. We are getting ready to switch from MyISAM vs. InnoDB.


      We are looking for someone who can do under $20 an hour, preferably under $15.


      INFORMATION WE NEED

      If you think you might be interested in these, please email the following to: systemadmin (at) dailysource (dot) org:

      * Your resume (or the equivalent information such as work experience and skills, or curriculum vitae). In particular, let us know your skill level in EC2 overall, in ELB and in AWS' auto-scaling; and the number of sites you've worked on using those.
      * How much you would charge per hour to work on our project. We are a nonprofit and do not have a large budget.
      * If you are also a Web developer who knows Ruby on Rails, let us know and we will consider having you do some development work as well.
      * If English is not your native tongue, please let us know the levels of your written and verbal English.

      We are forward thinking and passionate about making the world a better place — particularly for those most in need.

      We look forward to hearing from you,

      Rachel
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.