Re: [ruby-india] Bret Pettichord at Ruby-India meeting this Saturday

  • Premshree Pillai
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 10, 2005
      On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:48:32 +0530, Avik Sengupta
      <avik.sengupta@...> wrote:

      > On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 14:04 +0530, Premshree Pillai wrote:
      > > What do you suggest we have the first session on? Do we need a quick
      > > intro to Ruby? I'd volunteer... perhaps along with you?
      > >

      > Cool, you're on!
      >
      > I'll have an Internet connected Linux box with Ruby 1.8.2 available.
      > Lets make it as interactive as we can.
      >
      > I can also do a quick rails demo, if time and interest warrant.

      Rails is prolly something that deserves a _series_ of sessions (all
      the ultra cool things you can do, testing, etc.). Do you reccomend we
      have a demo at this session, or keep it (save the best for the last...
      err... later) in a diff session?

      --
      Premshree Pillai
      http://www.livejournal.com/users/premshree/
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 10, 2005
        On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:17:03 +0000, Yogi <yogi.kulkarni@...> wrote:

        > Yup, I'd love to pair with you on a "What makes Ruby special/the
        > 'ruby' way of doing things" talk. I had done something similar at our
        > office a while back, will see if I can dig up the slides. If you have
        > a presentation that we could use, send it across. We'll coordinate

        I've made presentations on Ruby in the past -- but they've mostly
        concentrated on syntax and stuff. One of my presentations is available
        at http://www.premshree.org/presentations/ruby-gnunify05/

        Umm, if you've made any presentation, send me a link, or mail it to me
        (if you don't have it online). We could work out something.

        Since there're lots of Pythonistas, a syntax-only thing wouldn't be cool.

        > this off the mailing list.
        >
        > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:04:49 +0530, Premshree Pillai
        > <premshree.pillai@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > What do you suggest we have the first session on? Do we need a quick
        > > intro to Ruby? I'd volunteer... perhaps along with you?
        > >
        > > -p
        > >

        > > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 05:10:33 +0000, Yogi <yogi.kulkarni@...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > So there hasn't been any further talk of the meeting this weekend...
        > > > I'm assuming its on
        > > >
        > > > We have 2, 1 hr slots:
        > > > - 4pm - 5pm: ?
        > > > - 5pm - 6pm: Watir and Selenium - Bret Pettichord
        > > >
        > > > Any volunteers for the first session?
        > > >

        > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
        > > >

        > > --
        > > Premshree Pillai
        > > http://www.livejournal.com/users/premshree/

        > --
        > - Yogi
        > Developer, www.thoughtworks.com

        Premshree Pillai
        http://www.livejournal.com/users/premshree/
      • Avik Sengupta
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 10, 2005
          > Rails is prolly something that deserves a _series_ of sessions (all
          > the ultra cool things you can do, testing, etc.). Do you reccomend we
          > have a demo at this session, or keep it (save the best for the last...
          > err... later) in a diff session?

          Yeah, rails certainly deserves a few sessions on its own, my agenda was
          to show enuf to whet people's appetites so that they keep coming back
          for more .. heh..

          So yeah, our agenda for this meeting is frozen, so rails is only on a
          backup/sampling/BOF/on-request basis! Lets do a full fledged Rails
          thingy later, better still, since both rails and ruby are easy to get
          started, we should prolly do a Rails hackathon! We can talk about it at
          the meet....
        • Avik Sengupta
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 11, 2005
            On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 17:56 +0530, Martin DeMello wrote:
            > If there's any interest, I can give a talk on closures sometime
            > (though probably not before May).
            >
            > martin

            Yeah, that'll be great! So do we manage to drag you out of your scrabble
            meeting tomorrow?
          • Martin DeMello
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 11, 2005
              On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:24:23 +0530, Avik Sengupta
              <avik.sengupta@...> wrote:

              > On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 17:56 +0530, Martin DeMello wrote:
              > > If there's any interest, I can give a talk on closures sometime
              > > (though probably not before May).
              > >
              > > martin
              >
              > Yeah, that'll be great! So do we manage to drag you out of your scrabble
              > meeting tomorrow?

              Yep :)

              martin