Its time for a Ruby OS , and here it is

  • pabhishek22
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 20, 2006
      hello world,
      We talk ruby , we play rails. I got to tell you that we need a
      scalable ruby platform( I mean, execution environment) designed "only
      for ruby".

      --> Why?
      --<'coz next generation web2.0 applications designed by ruby/rails
      demand high performance... and 'coz programs written in ruby should
      be able to run natively on wide processor architectures without
      without ruby interpreter...

      --> Ruby is dynamic language, its my favorite scripting language then
      Mr Abhishek, why u are spoiling the beauty of ruby, why the h*ll you
      want me to compile my ruby programs for different architectures?.
      --< Cool down! , The "dynamism" and "intuitiveness" of ruby code
      allows us to realize our ideas fast, and we can do rapid prototyping.
      Thats fine, but when ruby programs are deployed for production use...
      they are a little slow. Decide! you want to give slow program to your
      customer?

      --> Hey man!, Processors are getting cheap! I can always increase
      processor clocks to tune my deployed ruby code. I mean, I am not
      worried about economics of computing?.
      --< Hold on, Ask yourself , Is it just processor or added physical mem
      or added fancy dual processor board that increases efficiency?

      --> Oh ok, so has anybody else tried to do what you are trying to do?
      --< yes , "XRuby" is ruby to java byte code converter... a good work ,
      Its for java byte code lovers...

      --> Oh ok, tell me what is your project all about?
      --< [sneos.ip6.in]SneOS is the most simple and tiny operating system
      based on vanilla linux kernel. The goal of this OS distribution is to
      optimize the linux for ruby friendly applications. The size of current
      release is about 24MB. I would like every body to help me in finding
      areas where an operating system can be optimized for "ruby".

      --> I want to have a look.
      --< You are heartily welcomed! http://sneos.ip6.in (if this domain is
      temporarily down, catch it at
      http://sneos.googlecode.com/files/default.htm)

      --> I am interested to get involved...
      --< wonderful, lets get started , mail me at abhishek@...

      'regards
      Abhishek Parolkar
    • pabhishek22
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 20, 2006
        --> The link for download on sneos.ip6.in is not allowing me to download
        sneos, why?

        --< Thanks to google! They gave me opportunity to host my repository
        with them, but Oops! Its down today since morning. They would be
        working hard to make repository up in couple of hours. God bless them!

        'regards
        abhishek parolkar
      • Pratik
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 21, 2006
          Hi Abhishek,

          Sounds good. But, I'm not really very clear what it
          exactly does. It'd be great if you can put up some
          tiny examples of it. Currently, it looks like DIY
          linux to me.

          Thanks,
          Pratik

          --
          pratik@lifofifo ~/null $ irb
          irb(main):001:0> nil.nil?

          http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
        • pabhishek22
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 21, 2006
            Hello Pratik

            --- In ruby-india@yahoogroups.com, Pratik <pratik16@...> wrote:

            > Sounds good. But, I'm not really very clear what it
            > exactly does. It'd be great if you can put up some
            > tiny examples of it. Currently, it looks like DIY
            > linux to me.

            Oh sure, sneOS is not "just another" distro which can run ruby. The
            goal is to build an optimized operational environment which can run
            ruby/rails applications. So, what do I exactly mean by optimised
            environment?. I still don't have documented definition for
            "Optimized", but for now I refer to "just-in-time compilation of ruby
            code" , and "caching the native code (of app controllers) in rails
            environment". In a way, I want to do something similar to (infact,
            more than) what .net does to asp.net code and its framework. All such
            efforts will be realised in the form of small sub-modules under sneOS.
            Hence sneOS would be "a ruby OS". What you see currently, in sneOS is
            my build of ruby interpreter, its to get started...

            Hmmmmm.... I know it looks very different when i so easily say
            compiling ruby... 'coz many efforts have already gone in to getting a
            dynamic language to machine level object code... with very less
            success... For now , I am not planning to do that way, rather want to
            concentrate on getting on-fly machine code foot prints of "ruby
            process execution", and experiment with it. Wish me and my team a good
            luck!...

            Any comments and thoughts are extremely desired from the community! so
            please get this going in the thread... let me know of what you think
            could be the right definition of "optimized environment"...

            'regards
            Abhishek Parolkar
          • Sriram Narayanan
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 21, 2006
              On 12/21/06, pabhishek22 <abhishek.parolkar@...> wrote:
              > hello world,

              <snip/>

              > --< You are heartily welcomed! http://sneos.ip6.in (if this domain is
              > temporarily down, catch it at
              > http://sneos.googlecode.com/files/default.htm)

              Here's how I ran sneos on windows

              1. Download Qemu for Windows
              2. Download sneos.iso to c:\downloads.
              3. From within the QEmy folder, launch sneos.iso
              qemu -L . -cdrom "c:\downloads\sneos.iso"
              4. Test ruby
              ruby -e "p \"Hello, world\""

              > --> I am interested to get involved...
              > --< wonderful, lets get started , mail me at abhishek@...

              Ack. I'll mail you off list.

              > 'regards
              > Abhishek Parolkar
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Vamsee Kanakala
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 21, 2006
                --- In ruby-india@yahoogroups.com, "pabhishek22"
                <abhishek.parolkar@...> wrote:

                > --< Thanks to google! They gave me opportunity to host my repository
                > with them, but Oops! Its down today since morning. They would be
                > working hard to make repository up in couple of hours. God bless them!

                Hi Abhishek,

                Can you please sign up with Yahoo Groups? Approving your mail every
                time you reply is tiresome. Thanks.

                Vamsee.