First meetup!

  • Swaroop C H
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 12, 2005
      My blog post is up:
      http://www.swaroopch.info/archives/2005/03/12/ruby-india-first-meetup/

      Also, can anyone help me with the problem I am facing with Ruby that
      I've written about? - I can't even get a simple 'a = 5' at the prompt
      working!

      Thanks,

      Swaroop C H
      Blog: http://www.swaroopch.info
      Book: http://www.byteofpython.info
    • Premanand C
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 14, 2005
        From Swaroop's blog:

        <quote>
        The only drawback to Selenium is that it works best only when the websites
        are written with testing in mind. It won't work for existing websites.
        Selenium is actually not Ruby-specific - it is more of an architecture and
        you can write programs for it in Python, Ruby, Java, .NET and other
        languages as well. Their website should have more details on that.
        </quote>

        I am not quite sure the first two statements are true. Selenium is a
        functional testing tool for web-based projects. The tests are written and
        work at the level of the browser, similar to JWebUnit
        (http://jwebunit.sourceforge.net/) and HttpUnit
        (http://httpunit.sourceforge.net/). The big advantage of Selenium over the
        above two is that the user can actually "see" tests running in a browser
        window, just as if a user were exercising the application. Also, selenium
        is a great tool to find if your app will work on a particular family of
        browsers. One can very well choose to write functional tests for an
        existing application.

        You are right when you say that selenium isn't ruby-specific. Ruby is just
        one of the languages in which you can write selenese tests in. Also, there
        is no dependency on the development language. One can choose to write
        selenese tests in ruby, for a Java-based web application, for instance).
        For the latest information on selenium, visit
        http://selenium.thoughtworks.com

        Regards,
        Premanand

        Swaroop C H <g2swaroop@...>
        03/12/05 07:05 PM
        Please respond to
        ruby-india@yahoogroups.com

        ruby-india@yahoogroups.com
        cc

        Subject
        [ruby-india] First meetup!

        My blog post is up:
        http://www.swaroopch.info/archives/2005/03/12/ruby-india-first-meetup/

        Also, can anyone help me with the problem I am facing with Ruby that
        I've written about? - I can't even get a simple 'a = 5' at the prompt
        working!

        Thanks,

        Swaroop C H
        Blog: http://www.swaroopch.info