The Heritage of Mines and Mining_Programme online now

  • Carl, Daniela
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2011
      International Conference

      ***Apologies for cross-posting***

      Dear list members

      We are pleased to announce the programme for the following international conference:

      On the Surface: The Heritage of Mines and Mining

      14-16 April 2011, Innsbruck , Austria

      The focus of this conference is upon the heritage of mining and the extractive industries; the physical sites and the social legacies left on the Earth’s surface. Some former mines, mining landscapes and communities have gained heritage status and have become popular tourist attractions while others lie abandoned as pertinent and problematic markers of a changed world. This international, multidisciplinary conference seeks to critically examine the powerful and on-going fascination with mining and how mining heritage now plays an important role in wider agendas of economic and cultural development.

      We received a large number of excellent abstracts and posters from over 30 countries and from a diverse range of disciplines. We believe this conference to be the largest of its type on this fascinating theme.

      The Conference is organised in cooperation between Austria and the UK by the Centre for Tourism and Cultural Change (CTCC) based in the United Kingdom; and the Department of History and European Ethnology at the University of Innsbruck, Austria and featured two distinguished keynote speakers Dr Margaret L. Faull OBE, Director National Coal Mining Museum for England and Dipl. Ing Ralf Ebert, Director of STADTart, Consultancy for City, Culture and Planning.

      For further details including the programme please visit the conference’s webpage at http://www.tourism-culture.com/news_2.html (see downloads and further information) or email us at ctcc@...

      Best regards

      Daniela

      Daniela Carl

      CTCC

      Tourism & Entertainment Management

      Carnegie Faculty, Leeds Metropolitan University

      Brontë 206, Headingley Campus

      Leeds LS6 3QS

      United Kingdom

      Phone +44 (0)113- 812 8541

      Fax +44 (0)113- 812 8544
      ===

      Forthcoming CTCC International Conferences:

      For more information please visit www.tourism-culture.com