NSF White Paper on Tourism-Recreation Research

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2010
      For US-based Tourism & Recreation Scholars ...

      Does anyone know if any efforts were made to produce a White Paper for Tourism-Recreation research for this?  I had not heard about this call for white papers until today when I got an email that the urban studies paper was available for viewing (http://cities.asu.edu/images/stories/pdf/asu-urban-nsf-whitepaper.pdf)

      Alan

      http://www.nsf.gov/sbe/sbe_2020/

      NSF/SBE [Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences Directorate] invites individuals and groups to contribute white papers outlining grand challenge questions that are both foundational and transformative.  They are foundational in the sense that they reflect deep issues that engage fundamental assumptions behind disciplinary research traditions and are transformative because they seek to leverage current findings to unlock a new cycle of research. We expect these white papers to advance SBE’s mission to study human characteristics and human behaviors in its Social and Economic Sciences and Behavioral and Cognitive Sciences divisions, as well as to be the nation’s resource for understanding the structure and development of science through its Science Resources Statistics division.  This page provides guidance for authors and instructions for submittal.

      Please note that this request is drawn from the Dear Colleague Letter for SBE 2020: Future Research in the Social, Behavioral & Economic Sciences.

      Scope

      White papers should address the following questions:

      1. What is the fundamental question/questions? And why is this important?  Explain the challenge question, capability to be created, or scientific strategy; provide context in terms of recent research results and standing questions in the field; and suggest the range of disciplines that may contribute.
      2. What are the implications for advancing the domain? For building capacity? And for providing infrastructure?  By “advancing the domain,” we mean the fundamental science; by “capacity” we mean education and training of graduate students, faculty, and systems of prestige, promotion, and recognition; and by “infrastructure”, we mean the shared data and systems that enable the research (e.g., large survey data sets, research centers, shared toolkits and so on).
      3. Who is doing provocative research?
      4. What other questions should SBE ask as responses are analyzed?

      Alan A. Lew, Ph.D., AICP
      Professor and Graduate Program Coordinator
      Department of Geography, Planning and Recreation
      Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, Arizona 86011-5016, USA
      Publication
      * Tourism Geographies Journal
      * World Geography of Travel and Tourism
      * Understanding & Managing Tourism Impacts
      IGU Tourism Conferences
      The Changing World of Coastal, Island & Tropical Tourism, 27-29 Jan 2011, Martinique, FWI
      Tourism People, Places and Environments, 13-15 July 2011, Zhangjiajie, Hunan, China
      * Alan A. Lew on Twitter
      * NAU GPR on Facebook -- and on Twitter
      Online GPR Studies
      "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up.  The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time."  - Thomas Edison

      "Men will wrangle for religion, write for it, fight for it, die for it, anything but live for it." - Charles Caleb Colton