CFP RTS Pecha Kucha at AAG in Seattle

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2010
      The annual meeting of the Association of American Geographers will be held in Seattle this year, 12-16 April 2011.  Among the thousands of papers given at a typical AAG meeting, there are usually about 100 that are clearly tourism related, making it one of the bigger academic tourism event of the year.

      This is a Call for Papers to participate in a tourism Pecha Kucha session at the AAG meeting.

      In a Pecha Kucha each presenter is allowed 20 slides and only 20 seconds per slide, for a total of 6.6 minutes.  Pecha Kucha presentations tend to be fast paced and highly focused (the presenter does not have control over the advancement from one slide to the next).  The P.K. model helps to prevent "death by powerpoint" and I have found them to be insightful experiences.  I am hoping for about 10 to 12 presenters for a 100 minute session, to allow time for switching presenters and some discussion at the end.

      I am proposing two potential topics, which will hopefully result in at least two P.K. session.

      (1) Tourism Theory & Practice: This is the more serious of the two topics. Presentations in this session will focus on theoretical, methodological or practical issue. This includes examples of theory in practice, new theoretical conceptualizations applied to tourism issues, and any other thought-related topic of interest.

      (2) The Best Tourism Places: This is the more fun of the two topics. Most of us have our favorite holiday and vacation places. This P.K. will allow you to explain what makes your favorite tourism place so special, and why others should care. The goal of the session is to gain insights into what makes a good tourism place.

      Depending on the titles that I receive, I may adjust the titles of these two sessions.

      The AAG recently adopted an "Interactive Short Presentation" format that is defined as 10 to 14 five-minute presentations "followed by a 30- to 45-minute interactive roundtable discussion among presenters and the audience." This sound like a P.K. format and I will consider using it for these sessions. Alternatively, I might be able to set it up as a "panel session." If you are interested, we can talk about the advantages and disadvantages of each format.

      So contact me if you are interested with a title and a couple of sentences describing your P.K. presentation.  I will need to finalize the session before the deadline of October 20th and I will need your conference registration ID about a week before that date.

      More on the AAG meeting can be found here:  http://www.aag.org/cs/annualmeeting

      Alan A. Lew , Ph.D., AICP
      Professor and Graduate Program Coordinator
      Department of Geography, Planning and Recreation,
      Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, Arizona 86011-5016, USA
      * homepage: <http://AlanLew.com>
      * Online GPR Studies: http://nau.edu/GPRWeb
      * Tourism Geographies Journal - http://TGJournal.com
      * World Geography of Travel and Tourism - http://WorldGTT.com
      * Understanding & Managing Tourism Impacts - http://snipr.com/t-i-book
      * IGU Tourism Conferences - http://tinyurl.com/IGUTourConf
      -- The Changing World of Coastal, Island & Tropical Tourism, 27-29 Jan 2011, Martinique, FWI
      -- Tourism People, Places and Environments, 13-15 July 2011, Zhangjiajie, Hunan, China
      * Alan A. Lew on Twitter - http://twitter.com/alew
      * NAU GPR on Facebook: http://bit.ly/GPR-FB
      -- and on Twitter: http://twitter.com/NAUGPR
      "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up.  The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time."  - Thomas Edison