Fwd: IGU-Global Change Economic Crisis in Tourism 5-8 September

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2010
      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      Please forward a final reminder to our listed members of our meeting in Stellenbosch:

      Final call for registration IGU
      Global Change Economic Crisis in Tourism
      Stellenbosch, SA - 5-8 September 2010

      Deadline for registration on 5 August 2010

      The aim of the study group meeting is to discuss the relationship between tourism and development in the context of economic crisis and change, including global environmental change, changing tourist behaviour and preferences. The conference will focus especially on the roles and potential of tourism for development, sustainability in tourism and relations between tourism, environment and broad global processes of change at different levels of analysis, highlighting different types of "crises".

      The general aims of the conference are:
      • Discuss the nature and roles of tourism development in a specific developed or developing world context.
      • Examine the role of tourism in sustainable development and the impacts of tourism in natural, cultural and heritage landscapes.
      • Explore various ways of utilising tourism for the achievement of pro-poor development at different scales in the context of different types of "crises".
      • Develop new approaches to utilise tourism for development especially for sustainable development in "crisis type" environments.
      • Analyse contemporary issues, practices and future changes and challenges (such as global climate change, economic decline or policy shortcomings) in tourism development.
      • The role of tourism and sustainable development in the context of many different types of "crises".
      • Politics of sustainable tourism in "crisis environments".
      • Tourism and gender relations
      • Tourism and unstable political environments
      • Tourism and regional warfare
      • Tourism and global terrorism