CFP: African Americans and Tourism

  • Alderman, Derek
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2010

      Dear colleagues:

      In October of 2010, Binghamton University will host the fifth installment of the Race, Ethnicity, and Place Conference, which seeks to foster interdisciplinary dialogue on a range of issues related to the racial and ethnic transformation of places.   For more information on the conference, please visit: http://rep-conference.binghamton.edu/

      I am interested in organizing a special paper session at the Binghamton conference on “African Americans and Tourism.” The session would serve a forum for historical and contemporary research that examines a wide range of topics, including but not limited to:

      -the historical development of African American tourism and tourist destinations,

      -the growing importance of minority travel to American tourism,

      -current travel patterns and trends among African Americans,

      -the representation of African Americans within tourist promotions,

      -the role of race and racism in shaping African American travel decisions,

      -the development of socially responsible and racially progressive approaches to tourism development,

      -the rise of tourism related to the Civil Rights Movement, the Underground Railway, and other freedom narratives,

      -the southern plantation and other slavery sites as tourist destinations for African Americans,

      -the travel of African Americans to the continent of Africa ,

      -the politics of African American heritage tourism development and planning,

      -the role of African Americans as entrepreneurs, agents, and tour guides within the tourism industry,

      If you have an interest in participating in this session, please contact me (aldermand@...) by March 19 (if not sooner) and provide a brief description of your planned presentation. If we have a healthy response, I will coordinate the organization of the session.  The proposed session is sponsored by East Carolina University ’s Center for Sustainable Tourism and Department of Geography.

      Thanks for your time,

      Derek

      Derek H. Alderman, PhD

      Associate Professor