- ... From: Rachel Dodds Date: Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 2:48 PM Subject: Attn: USA & Canadian universities and colleges - tourism and climateMessage 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2009View Source---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rachel Dodds <r2dodds@...>
Date: Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 2:48 PM
Subject: Attn: USA & Canadian universities and colleges - tourism and climate change student symposium
Hello to all US AND Canadian colleges and universities!
I would like to bring to your attention a NOW EXPANDED on-line student symposium to be held in March for students in Canada and the USA.
Due to an overwhelming response of interest, I was asked to resend this out to all North American universities and colleges!
It would be super to see a number of universities and colleges participate and I have attached the revised proposal for schools as well as a handout that schools can send out to their students. The Foundation is trying to determine participating numbers so if you are interested, please contact the project coordinator, Azma, at aousmand@... BY NOVEMBER 19, 2009.
To be hosted by The Icarus Foundation (www.theicarusfoundation.com) in early Spring, 2010, students will present and discuss research, issues and possible solutions surrounding climate change and tourism. Through interactive presentations, including aspects of video, audio, text, or still images presentations will foster discussion and next steps for tourism to move forward. As climate change has no boundaries, and due to interest levels, this symposium will now be held with US and Canadian Universities and Colleges
The goals of this web symposium will be:
1. To foster research and climate change/sustainability interest among students
2. To enable students to share current research directly with industry
3. To enable students from the various colleges and universities to join together to present their research, network and discuss key issues in today’s industry via an online conference
4. To post and promote university’s and colleges research
Presentations will be no longer than 5 minutes to ensure on-line engagement and will outline findings of research or a project which may include:
§ Impacts of climate change on tourism
§ Mitigation strategies and/or best practices in industry or communities
§ Adaptation techniques or strategies relating to hospitality and tourism
§ Consumer behavior/response to climate change and tourism
As schools must participate in order to have their students submit abstracts, please contact aousmand@... if you should require any further information.
Dr. Rachel Dodds
Ted Rogers School of Hospitality & Tourism Management
Tel: 416-979-5000 x 7227
350 Victoria Street
Toronto, ON M5B 2K3