RE: [rtsnet] AAG sessions

  • Ioannides Dimitri
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 9, 2009

      Dear all,

      Further to Dallen’s and Wesley’s emails I am writing to say I am fairly surprised by the low level of interest expressed in terms of setting up RTS sessions at the AAG. For years we have built up a fairly healthy presence at the national conference but alas, this no longer seems to be the case. To be sure there are a number of sessions proposed and the people proposing them should be praised but it also seems to be – for the most part – the old guard that keeps holding the baton.

      That said, I would be quite interested in presenting – or even chairing a session – on tourism and inequities. Among the topics discussed could be issues that relate to labor, marginalization, social/cultural sustainability etc.

      I have been more reluctant than usual to take the initiative in terms of organizing a session as I am not sure if I can actually make it to DC next year. However, if there is a session that deals with the aforementioned issues I would seriously think about developing something for the conference.

      Best wishes to all

      Dimitri Ioannides PhD

      Professor of Human Geography

      Mid-Sweden University and ETOUR

      Kunskapens Väg 1

      SE - 831 25

      Östersund

      Sweden

      Tel. (46) 63195811

      Mobile. (46) 768016020

      E-mail. Dimitri.Ioannides@...

    • Daniel Olsen
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2009

        In response to Dallen, Wesley and Dimitri, as the Chair of the RTS Specialty Group I must admit that I am surprised with the lack of tourism-related proposals for the 2010 AAG meetings. I will shortly send out a list of the RTS-related sessions that, at least to my knowledge, have been proposed. Also look at the RTS Newsletter at http://www.geog.nau.edu/rts/news/news_0909.pdf for some CFPs that may not have made it to TRINET or this list-serve.

        --

        Dr. Daniel H. Olsen

        Assistant Professor

        Department of Geography, Brandon University
        Room 4-10, John R. Brodie Science Centre
        270 18th Street, Brandon , Manitoba , Canada R7A 6A9

        Phone: (204) 727-9766
        Fax: (204) 728-7346

        olsend@...

        E-mail. Dimitri.Ioannides@ miun.se