AAG sessions

  • Dallen Timothy
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2009

      Hi Folks,

      Can anyone tell me if there are still some tourism sessions that have open slots for the AAGs?

      I’m looking for one.

      Thanks,

      Dallen Timothy

    • WESLEY S. ROEHL
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2009
        Just to follow-up on Dallen's inquiry, if there is interest I'd like to organize a session on RTS in the face of the global financial crisis.  I haven't had a chance to go through the AAG website, pay my fee, etc. to officially make a session yet, but if any list members are planning to write something that would be a reasonable fit in such a session, please let me know and I'll formalize the process.

        Thanks.

        Wes Roehl

        --
        Director of Programs in Tourism & Hospitality Management
        School of Tourism & Hospitality Management
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 9, 2009

          Dear all,

          Further to Dallen’s and Wesley’s emails I am writing to say I am fairly surprised by the low level of interest expressed in terms of setting up RTS sessions at the AAG. For years we have built up a fairly healthy presence at the national conference but alas, this no longer seems to be the case. To be sure there are a number of sessions proposed and the people proposing them should be praised but it also seems to be – for the most part – the old guard that keeps holding the baton.

          That said, I would be quite interested in presenting – or even chairing a session – on tourism and inequities. Among the topics discussed could be issues that relate to labor, marginalization, social/cultural sustainability etc.

          I have been more reluctant than usual to take the initiative in terms of organizing a session as I am not sure if I can actually make it to DC next year. However, if there is a session that deals with the aforementioned issues I would seriously think about developing something for the conference.

          Best wishes to all

          Dimitri Ioannides PhD

          Professor of Human Geography

          Mid-Sweden University and ETOUR

          Kunskapens Väg 1

          SE - 831 25

          Östersund

          Sweden

          Tel. (46) 63195811

          Mobile. (46) 768016020

          E-mail. Dimitri.Ioannides@...

        • Daniel Olsen
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 9, 2009

            In response to Dallen, Wesley and Dimitri, as the Chair of the RTS Specialty Group I must admit that I am surprised with the lack of tourism-related proposals for the 2010 AAG meetings. I will shortly send out a list of the RTS-related sessions that, at least to my knowledge, have been proposed. Also look at the RTS Newsletter at http://www.geog.nau.edu/rts/news/news_0909.pdf for some CFPs that may not have made it to TRINET or this list-serve.

            --

            Dr. Daniel H. Olsen

            Assistant Professor

            Department of Geography, Brandon University
            Room 4-10, John R. Brodie Science Centre
            270 18th Street, Brandon , Manitoba , Canada R7A 6A9

            Phone: (204) 727-9766
            Fax: (204) 728-7346

            olsend@...

            E-mail. Dimitri.Ioannides@ miun.se