Lloyd Hudman

  • Dallen Timothy
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2009

      Dear RTS and TRINET members,

      With a heart full of sadness and regret, I wish to let you all know that Dr. Lloyd Hudman (aka “Hud”), one of the leading pioneers in the study of tourism, passed away on August 15, 2009, after a very long and courageous battle with cancer. As you all know, he authored several of the earliest tourism textbooks for the courses we now teach. He was an avid researcher and loved to travel the world, exploring new places and devising new research projects. He particularly enjoyed involving his students in field work. His love for teaching and mentoring students has influenced hundreds of tourism and geography scholars and practitioners directly, and tens of thousands indirectly, throughout the world. His students have become tourism and geography lecturers/professors all over Asia, Africa, Latin America, the Middle East, Europe, the Pacific Islands and North America . It was not uncommon for former students to recognize him at airports and on street corners all over the world!! (I witnessed it personally) Lloyd was a wonderful man and an excellent professor of geography at Brigham Young University ( Utah , USA ). Lloyd’s influential teaching and mentorship were what laid the foundation for my own interest in tourism studies, and his positive influence, kindness, compassion, selflessness, and deep intellect were all part of a man I have tried to emulate in my own personal and professional life.

      Lloyd was an incredibly service-oriented person. His greatest joys were spending time with his family and serving people less fortunate than himself. He never complained about his condition—he only asked what he could do for others. When he retired from BYU, he continued to serve the community by making rounds at cancer centers with his dog, Sapphire, to cheer up the sick and weary. He truly believed in the therapeutic benefits of animals and good companionship. The patients he so faithfully visited (and hospital staff) adored him and benefited enormously from his selfless efforts, while he never let on to them that he himself was dying of cancer. Lloyd has a large family and huge circle of friends who adore him…it couldn’t be otherwise with Lloyd.

      Our deepest sympathies go to his wife, Claire Ann, four daughters, eight grandchildren, and eleven great-grandchildren. Dr. Hudman will be sorely missed by everyone who ever had the privilege of knowing him. His legacy is tremendous for so many people and will no doubt continue to influence generations of scholars to come. He was one of the most influential people in my life, and I am forever grateful for the personal and professional example he set for me.

      Very best wishes,

      Dallen Timothy

      You can read the obituary in his local newspaper at:

      http://ads.heraldextra.com/articles/2009/08/16/obituaries/347284.txt

      Dr. Dallen J. Timothy, Professor

      Program Director, Tourism Development and Management

      School of Community Resources and Development

      Arizona State University

      411 N. Central Avenue, Suite 550

      Phoenix, Arizona 85004

      USA