Last call for one more paper and request for a discussant!!!

  • Ioannides Dimitri
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 13, 2008
      Last call for one more paper and request for a discussant!!!

      Dear friends,

      I am looking for someone to serve as discussant on the session on urban tourism. So far I have gathered three presenters, including myself. Dan Knudsen, and Alan Lew with Ann Soper (jointly) are the other presenters.

      One more paper on the session would also be welcome the session description appears below.

      Please let me know immediately if you wish to serve as a discussant on this panel. I would need your PIN ASAP.

      Thanks so much.

      Call for Papers:

      Las Vegas AAG: March 2009

      Tourism and the Urban Realm: Utopian Communities or Spheres of Exclusivity

      In the last decade there has been increasing attention to the phenomenon of urban tourism as displayed by the growing number of articles but also edited collections and monographs. Discussions have centered, for instance, on the role of tourism and the broader experience economy in the commodification of urban areas. Some observers have used regulation theory to explain the dynamics of tourism growth in cities. Others have examined the spatial aspects of tourism's growth within the urban realm. There is a growing understanding that while there is a tendency for tourism-related activities to cluster in so-called 'tourist bubbles', an increasing number of visitors have begun to search for attractions beyond these areas, often infiltrating into more traditional neighborhoods.

      Moreover, there has also been a growing tendency in many parts of the world - with Dubai being the poster child of this tendency - to develop 'instant' cities very much based on leisure, recreation, and tourism activities.

      This session (or sessions) calls for papers that concentrate on the interface of urban communities to tourism and the broader experience economy. In addition to case studies, the session could include observations on one or the following issues. The growth of tourism and marginalization of certain groups of people or activities; neo-bohemias and tourism; tourism (the experience economy) and the creative class; tourism and its impact on urban design; instant tourism cities and their effects, retirement communities, etc. In depth examinations of cities like Las Vegas and those that try to emulate them are also welcome.

      Hälsningar!!!

      Dimitri Ioannides PhD

      Professor of Human Geography

      Mid-Sweden University and ETOUR