Ph.D. programs in tourism

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5, 2008
      I often get requests from students from around the world looking for a Ph.D. programs, usually in the US, and hoping to study with me.  However, my university does not even offer a Masters in tourism, let alone a Ph.D., and I have a feeling that there may be quite a few worthwhile Ph.D. programs out there that I am personally unaware of.

      To better advise these students, I would like to start a del.icio.us list (easier than doing a webpage) of tourism Ph.D. programs.

      SO, if you have a Ph.D. program in tourism, all you need to do is email me the URL for that program.  Note that I am only interested in formalized program, not in "Ph.D. by research" options. Once I have a few programs listed I will post the link to the del.icio.us site on some websites so it can be found.

      Alternative, if you know of an existing list like this, let me know, since I have not been able to find it.

      Cheers
      Alan

      --
      Alan A. Lew , Ph.D., AICP
      Department of Geography, Planning and Recreation,
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2008
        Hi all,

        The Department of Recreation, Park and Tourism Sciences at Texas A&M
        University announces openings for two tenure-track positions at the rank
        of Assistant Professor to begin Fall semester, 2008 or Spring of 2009.
        We seek colleagues who will conduct research and teach on key components
        in community development and related policy issues. Appointments may
        range from 9 to 12 months.

        Responsibilities: Successful candidates will be expected to develop
        funded lines of research in the area of community development. The
        specific area of specialization is open. However, we are especially
        interested in applicants with expertise in natural resource-based
        development, health and recreation systems, social and infrastructure
        linkages, minority dynamics in communities, and community youth
        development. Candidates will also be expected to teach courses in
        recreation, park, tourism, and related areas in the Department; work on
        collaborative teams, supervise graduate student research (M.S. and
        Ph.D.) and provide service to the Department, College, and University.

        Qualifications: A PhD in a discipline relevant to community
        development, including sociology, rural sociology, child development,
        planning, geography, resource economics, demography, recreation, park or
        tourism, anthropology or a closely related discipline, must be completed
        by the candidate prior to appointment. Applicants must have a research
        agenda leading to publications in refereed journals and must demonstrate
        the potential to acquire extramural funding and guide graduate students.
        The Department is especially interested in applicants who will
        contribute interdisciplinary expertise to its research, teaching, and
        outreach missions. Previous experience or willingness to participate in
        the delivery of distance-education courses is also desirable.

        Application Process: Review of applications will begin April 15, 2008
        and continue until the positions are filled. Application must be
        complete, including a cover letter detailing the applicant’s
        qualifications, relevant experience, and interest in the position. In
        addition, the application must include current curriculum vitae, a
        statement of teaching philosophy, a description of the candidate’s
        research agenda, sample research/scholarly publications, official
        university transcripts, and the names, phone numbers, and email
        addresses of three professional references. References will not be
        contacted until the advanced stages of screening; candidates will
        receive prior notification.

        Applications and inquiries should be sent to:

        Dr. Scott Shafer, Associate Professor
        Department of Recreation, Park and Tourism Sciences
        Texas A&M University
        2261 TAMU
        College Station, TX 77843-2261
        Phone: 979-845-3837
        Email: sshafer@...

        Texas A&M University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity
        employer committed to diversity.

        Sanjay K. Nepal, PhD
        Department of Recreation, Park and Tourism Sciences
        Texas A&M University
        College Station, TX-77845-2261
        Tel: 979 862 4080 Fax: 979 845 0446
        http://www.rpts.tamu.edu

        Editor-in-Chief
        eReview of Tourism Research
        http://ertr.tamu.edu/

        Chair
        Recreation, Tourism and Sports Specialty Group,
        The Association of American Geographers (AAG)
        http://www.geog.nau.edu/rts