Second and final call!!!

  • Dimitri Ioannides
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2007
      If anyone out there is looking for a session that combines an interest in economic geography with travel and tourism please think about submitting your abstract for this session. Please submit this NO LATER than October 24. Thanks.

      Session Title: Economic geography and tourism
      Contact person: Dimitri Ioannides DIoannides@...

      Session Description:

      Much discussion has been made in recent times concerning the appearance
      of a so-called "experience economy." The term originally coined by
      economists Pine and Gillmore (1999) generally implies that our modern
      society has become one dominated by businesses whose principal aim is to
      generate experiences. Being the "poster child" of the experience
      economy, tourism remains a sector that is not well defined and, as such,
      it is one that is hard to measure. Some of the questions that continue
      to dog researchers include: (a) what exactly is the tourist industry;
      (b) how do we disentangle the experience part of the tourist product
      from more tangible aspects like hotel rooms and airline seats; (c) what
      methodological tools do we have at our disposal to improve the
      measurement of tourism? (d) what is the magnitude of tourism within
      cities?
      A paper on these aspects or any others that explore the
      interconnections of economic geography to travel and tourism will be considered for this session.

      Dimitri Ioannides PhD
      Professor of Tourism Planning and Development
      Dept. of Geography, Geology, and Planning
      Missouri State University
      Springfield
      MO 65897
      USA