RTS John Rooney Award

  • Dallen Timothy
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2007

      Hello Folks,

      Sanjay Nepal has asked me to coordinate the non-student RTS awards this year, one of which is the John Rooney Award. The Roy Wolfe Award committee is comprised of former awardees, and nominations come from within that committee, but the Rooney Award has so few recipients that I’m going to put out a general call for nominations. Please correspond to me PRIVATELY with any nominations (i.e. don’t reply to this mass email). The Rooney Award is meant for ‘outstanding contributions to the field and discipline of applied recreation, tourism and sport’. So, it’s meant for RTS geographers who have had a major impact on the industry or applied discipline. I believe we have only had four recipients since the award was started in the 1990s, and we don’t give these out annually, but it’s been several years since we gave one (Geoff Wall being the latest, I think), so it’s time to re-think this and put forth nominations.

      Thank you very much for your participation. This is an important award, and if you are aware of an RTS geographer who has made a significant impact on the tourism industry, sport organizations, or recreation agencies, please feel free to put his/her name forward.

      Best wishes,
      Dallen

      Dr Dallen J. Timothy

      Professor