Fwd: AAG Study of the American South Specialty Group

  • Sanjay K Nepal
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2007
      FYI: A new AAG specialty group.

      Sanjay K. Nepal, PhD
      Department of Recreation, Park and Tourism Sciences
      Texas A&M University
      College Station, TX-77845-2261
      Tel: 979 862 4080 Fax: 979 845 0446
      http://www.rpts.tamu.edu

      Editor-in-Chief
      eReview of Tourism Research
      http://ertr.tamu.edu/

      Chair
      Recreation, Tourism and Sports Specialty Group,
      The Association of American Geographers (AAG)
      http://www.geog.nau.edu/rts

      >>> "Alderman, Derek" <ALDERMAND@...> 7/24/2007 8:32 AM >>>
      Dear Sanjay:

      Would you please circulate the announcement below to your specialty
      group members?

      Thanks,

      Derek

      *********************

      Apologies for cross listings.

      Dear colleagues:

      Bill Graves (UNC-Charlotte) and I are happy to announce the
      establishment of a new AAG specialty group--the Study of the American
      South.

      The STUDY OF THE AMERICAN SOUTH SPECIALTY GROUP strives to create a
      national platform for: (a) promoting study of the social, political,
      cultural, economic, and ecological aspects of the American South; (b)
      encouraging critical reflection on the issues, processes, intrinsic
      qualities, and interconnections that shape the region and its
      landscapes; (c) exchanging research and teaching ideas among scholars of
      the American South; and (d) building greater ties between geographers
      and the larger, cross-disciplinary southern studies community.
      Membership is open to any sub-field and not restricted to scholars based
      in the southeastern United States.

      Please consider joining the group when your AAG membership comes up for
      renewal. Or you can send in membership dues with a note to the AAG
      office saying that it is for the South specialty group. Dues are $5 for
      regular members and $1 for student members (what a deal!)

      Please also note that we are in the process of setting up an
      administrative page and listserv through AAG. Over the coming months,
      we will also be establishing a specialty group web page to help
      disseminate information. If anyone has a desire to help out, do not
      hesitate to let me know. Bill and I have declared ourselves interim
      co-chairs out of administrative necessity. A formal election of
      officers will happen at the 2008 AAG meeting in Boston and we welcome
      your interest in assuming a leadership position.

      Finally, the specialty group is happy to sponsor special organized
      sessions at national and regional meetings--just contact us. Let's
      start organizing sessions for the Boston AAG meeting! Do you have any
      ideas for potential topics and/or participants?

      Best wishes,

      Derek H. Alderman, PhD

      Associate Professor

      Co-Editor, Southeastern Geographer