RTS at AAG Tampa, Florida, April 2014 and news update.

  • Alison Gill
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4 9:16 AM
      Dear RTS members:

      It’s already time to start thinking about next year’s AAG meeting in Tampa, Florida. (April 8-12, 2014). You will likely have recently received an email to that effect from Oscar Larson, the AAG conference organizer, announcing that Registration and abstract submission opened July,1 ( http://www.aag.org/annualmeeting/register.)

      The call for papers will close October 23, 2013.

      While I encourage all those of you who are planning to present a paper to be thinking about it now – I especially urge those of you who are planning to organize RTS sponsored sessions to start publicizing them as soon as possible. Please contact me agill@... or Alan Lew alan.lew@... (who manages the RTS website) so that we can promote them through the RTSnet listserv and on the website http://www.geog.nau.edu/rts/. Please make a note of this website address as much of the information you need to know about the conference will be posted on this site (we are working on making the links with the RTS site on the AAG website clearer).

      RTS organized sessions are proving to be a very good way to build a more cohesive network of tourism geographers as well as heightening our profile within the discipline. In LA we had 23 organized sessions under the RTS banner, including some co-sponsored with other specialty groups.

      The second issue I wanted to bring you up-to date on (rather belatedly) is a brief review of some issues from our business meeting at the LA AAG meeting. Congratulations are in order to our two award winners: Jarkko Saarinen (Oulu, Finland) who received the Roy Wolfe Award for outstanding contributions to the field and discipline of tourism geography and Alan Lew (Northern Arizona) who received the John W. Rooney Award for outstanding contributions to the field of applied tourism geography.

      A new slate of Board members was elected for the 2013-15 period as follows:

      Chair: Li Yang (W. Michigan)
      Past-chair: Alison Gill (Simon Fraser)(currently 'Acting Chair' 2013-14)
      Secretary/Treasurer: Adam Keul (Connecticut)
      International Liaison: Patrick Brouder (Mid-Sweden)
      Student Representatives/Web Communications: Heidi Karst and Maggie Miller. (Waterloo)
      Member at Large: Friedrich Zimmermann (Graz, Austria)
      Member at Large and International Liaison: Tometi Gdebema (UC Davis)

      Unfortunately, our elected Chair, Li Yang , had to step down from the position shortly after the LA meeting for personal reasons. After consulting the Board it was decided that I should continue as “Acting Chair” until our 2014 meeting in Tampa.

      It is also time to remind you of the RTS Student Award Competition for AAG 2014.
      At our business meeting we decided to change the policy on these Awards to make them more attractive to students. The award for PhD students will now be $500 and the award for Masters’ students will be $200. While the PhD submissions still require the submission of a paper of potentially publishable quality, the requirements for the Masters’ paper submission will be less rigorous. I will be sending a further reminder and more details to you again in the fall - but at this time I want to make sure that students and supervisors are aware of these opportunities.

      I know you all have much better things to do over the summer than read long emails so I will just close by encouraging especially RTS session organizers to get organized with at least a preliminary call for papers.

      I hope you all find some time to relax and have fun over the summer! I look forward to seeing you all in Tampa next spring. Please contact me if you have any questions agill@...

      Best wishes

      Alison

      Alison Gill