Fwd: FW: Marine and Coastal Culture Tourism in Northern Territories - Akureyri Iceland - 18-19th June

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2013
      From: Edward H Huijbens [edward@...]
      Sent: Saturday, April 13, 2013 1:59 PM

      Subject: FW: Marine and Coastal Culture Tourism in Northern Territories - Akureyri Iceland - 18-19th June

      Conference and workshops
      University of Akureyri, Iceland, 18 -19 June 2013

      The conference is open to all but we kindly ask you to register your attendance for planning purposes by sending us an email at conferences@...<mailto:conferences@...> +354 4600 600 no later than 10 May, 2013. Conference fee: 12.000 ISK/545 DKK

      For further information: sibba@...<mailto:sibba@...>, tel: +354 8648966

      Marine and coastal culture tourism is growing in popularity in various ways. Some tourists want to learn about life in coastal villages, experience nature and tranquillity as well as the wilderness. Others want to experience the excitement of driving charter boats, diving, surfing, speed-boating or hiring a boat and try their luck at fishing. Then there are those who want to sail from port to port – country to country in gigantic cruise ships. How does this fit in with cultural heritage, everyday life, social development, self-sufficiency, fishing quotas and environmental policies of the Nordic nations? How can the Nordic nations collaborate in this area? Do these diverse aspects of tourism have collaborative opportunities?

      10:00   Minister of Industry and Innovation/Minister for the Environment and Natural   Resources

      10:15   Global images as local resources: Marine mammal tourism and social resilience in Icelandic coastal communities – Níels Einarsson, Director, Stefansson Arctic Institute, Iceland

      10:45   How can research support management decisions to balance sustainable tourism and commercial fishing in Norway’s coastal zone? - Jon Helge Vølstad, Institute of Marine Research in Norway

      11:15  Regional development of  marine industries and tourism in western Norway -     Inge Døskeland, Senior Advisor, Hordaland County Council, Norway

      11:45   Lunch

      12:45  Workshop - Self-sustainability and the environmental impact  of fishing tourism - opportunities and threats. In what areas can we collaborate?

      14:00   Bus to Dalvík

      14:40   Arctic villages - Freyr Antonsson, CEO and owner Arctic Sea Tours, Iceland

      15:15   Bus to Siglufjörður

      16:00   Utilizing our cultural heritage. The Herring Era Museum of Iceland  –  Örlygur Kristfinnsson, Museum Director and Anita Elefsen, Museum Co-ordinator

      19:00   Dinner in Siglufjörður

      9:00     Innovation in nature-based tourism - the case of marine fishing tourism in Northern
                  Norway - Heidi Holmgren, PhD Candidate, Finnmark University College, Norway

      9:30     Cruise ship calls in northern destination ports, local impact and expectation -
                  Anna Karlsdóttir, Geographer. Lecturer in tourism studies and human geography, University of Iceland

      10:00   Coffee break

      10:20   Tourism development in rural areas in Greenland – Tina Jensen, Head of Department of  Industry and Labour Market

      10:45   Tourism in rural areas, now and in the future - Eirik Suni Danielsen, Gjáargarður, Faroe Islands

      11:15  Destination images - understanding destinations and visitor perceptions - Edward H. Huijbens, Director, Icelandic Tourism Research Centre

      11:45  Lunch

      12:45   Workshop – Marine and coastal culture tourism: opportunities, threats and
                  the image of the north. Where do we stand and what are our aims?

      15:00  Summary and conference closing

      Edward H. Huijbens MA, PhD
      Rannsóknamiðstöð ferðamála
      Borgum v/ Norðurslóð
      600 Akureyri
      S: 460-8930, farsími: 847-4104
      Edward H. Huijbens MA, PhD
      Icelandic Tourism Research Centre
      Borgum v/Nordurslod
      600 Akureyri, Iceland (IS)
      Tel: +354 460-8930, mobile: +354 847-4104