RTS sessions - visit website for proposed sessions AAG Los Angeles

  • Alison Gill
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14, 2012
      Dear RTS colleagues:

      As summer seems to be drawing all too quickly to a close, I thought I would add a few words of encouragement to you to think about organizing a session or contributing a paper to the AAG meeting in Los Angeles next April (April 9-13). You will have already seen calls for some RTS organized sessions in your email recently. To summarize, four of the following session details are on the RTS website <http://www.geog.nau.edu/rts/> that Alan Lew manages (thanks so much Alan!). I have included in this email another co-sponsored session on transportation that will be added to the website shortly.

      I'm purposely not sending the details of the 4 sessions as I want you to go to the website where there is all kinds of other information that is useful concerning the Meeting and other RTS matters.

      I am sure that there will be more RTS sessions announced once folk are back from summer vacations and starting classes again - so I encourage you to think about organizing a session - and/or presenting a paper. If you don't find sessions that fit your research interests by the time you need to register don't worry - while it's best to join an organized session in advance, last year we were able to assemble and officially 'sponsor' quite a number of loose papers after the deadline had passed - so be sure to include the words 'tourism' 'recreation' or 'sport' somewhere in the keywords to ensure we can find you.

      For those of you who are teaching or are students, remember the RTS student award - see the RTS website for details (http://www.geog.nau.edu/rts/). The deadline dates are still to be announced (last year the AAG meeting was a lot earlier).

      Enjoy the remaining weeks of summer. I'll be in touch again before too long. If you have any international (or other) colleagues who are not RTS members, please forward this information to them and let me know their email addresses so that we can keep in touch with them. Please contact me if you have any queries.

      Best wishes
      Alison

      Alison Gill
      Chair, RTS Specialty Group
      Professor, Simon Fraser University

      PROPOSED RTS SESSIONS TO DATE (see website for details)

      1) Geographical Gaming: Landscape as Playing Surface

      (2) Lifestyle Migrants & Destination Communities

      (3) Tourism Geography and Evolutionary Research

      (4) Methodologies in Social Memory and Heritage Tourism Research

      (5) (NEWLY announced session)

      Transportation and “America’s Best Idea”: Travel and Mobility in National Parks and Protected Areas

      Session sponsored by
      The Transport Geography Specialty Group (TGSG) & The Recreation, Tourism, and Sport Specialty Group (RTS)

      National parks and other federal lands receive tremendous visitation, almost exclusively by car. The ‘dual mandate’ under which national parks are managed requires that providing access to the scenic and historic features of America’s national parks must be balanced by environmental protections for those features. Travel to and within national parks and similar lands has become a matter of increasing concern for environmental, public health, and social equity reasons. This session will examine such topics as recreational travel to national parks and other protected public areas within cities or in wilderness. Given the subject of the session(s), possible topics of interest might include, but are not limited to:

      Transportation equity and accessibility to public lands
      Alternative transportation systems, issues, modeling and policy
      Visitor movement, mobility, and travel experience within parks
      Environmental consequences of roads and other transportation projects in protected areas
      Congestion, overcrowding, visitor impacts, and sustainability
      Cultural landscapes of transportation and mobility
      Geography of the Appalachian Trail and other recreational trails
      Send an abstract of no more than 250 words and your personal identification number (received from the AAG after applying online at www.aag.org) to one of the organizers by October 19, 2012.

      Organizers:
      Joe Weber Selima Sultana
      Department of Geography Department of Geography
      University of Alabama University of North Carolina - Greensboro
      Tuscaloosa, AL 35487 Greensboro, NC 27402
      jweber2@... s_sultan@...
      phone: 205-348-0086 phone: 336-334-3895