AAG Los Angeles - Call for papers on Tourisma nd Evolutionary Economic Geography

  • Alison Gill
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25, 2012
    Dear RTS members (and other international colleagues):
    Here is a proposed session for the AAG in Los Angeles. We are hoping we may be able to organize more than one session on this topic so please contact me or one of the other organizers so that we coordinate papers.

    I'll be in touch with more RTS news regarding the LA meeting shortly.

    Best wishes

    Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers, April 9th-13th 2013, Los Angeles, CA, USA.

    Tourism Geography and Evolutionary Research – 1st Call for Papers

    Session sponsored by: Recreation, Tourism & Sport Speciality Group
    Session organisers: Salvador Anton-Clavé, Rovira i Virgili University; Patrick Brouder, Umeå University; Alison Gill, Simon Fraser University; Julie Wilson, Rovira i Virgili University.

    Recent developments in evolutionary economic geography (Boschma & Martin, 2010) are receiving increasing interest from tourism geographers. Aspects of path dependence, micro-firm survival, resort evolution, and regional development policy have been addressed in empirical studies of the tourism economy, dating back to the seminal concept of Richard Butler’s Tourism Area Life Cycle (Brouder & Eriksson, 2012; Butler, 1980; Ivars Baidal, 2004; Papatheodorou, 2004). However, theoretical discussion on the principles of evolutionary notions of economic change within tourism has been limited. Yet the possibility to explain macro-level trends while allowing for micro-level agency resulting in varying outcomes across the space economy is of central interest to the theoretical development of tourism geography. This session highlights the possibilities for tourism researchers to take on new perspectives to regional restructuring and also opens space for evolutionary scholars interested in low-technology, service sectors, with tourism being a pertinent case.

    This call invites papers on evolutionary approaches within tourism geography. Submissions may address, but are not limited to, the following topics:
    • role of policy in economic evolution
    • regional branching and structural change
    • path dependence and new path creation
    • learning in networks and cluster development
    • role of entrepreneurship in economic change

    Submissions may be made via the AAG website (www.aag.org/annualmeeting) and enquiries are welcome to:
    Americas; Asia; & Oceania: agill@... or patrick.brouder@...
    Africa; Europe; & Middle East: Salvador.anton@... or julie.wilson@...

    Boschma, R., & Martin, R. (2010). The Handbook of Evolutionary Economic Geography. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar Publishing.
    Brouder, P., & Eriksson, R. H. (2012). Staying Power: What Influences Micro-firm Survival in Tourism? Tourism Geographies, 1–20. doi:10.1080/14616688.2011.647326
    Butler, R. W. (1980). The Concept of a Tourist Area Life Cycle of Evolution: Implications for Management of Resources. The Canadian Geographer / Le Géographe canadien, 24(1), 5–12. doi:10.1111/j.1541-0064.1980.tb00970.x
    Ivars Baidal, J. A. (2004). REGIONAL TOURISM PLANNING IN SPAIN: Evolution and Perspectives. Annals of Tourism Research, 31(2), 313–333. doi:10.1016/j.annals.2003.12.001
    Papatheodorou, A. (2004). Exploring the Evolution of Tourism Resorts. Annals of Tourism Research, 31(1), 219–237. doi:10.1016/j.annals.2003.10.004