AAG/RTS student paper competition

  • Alison Gill
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2011
      Hello RTS members:
      As in past years we will be having a student paper competition for students presenting papers in RTS sessions at the New York AAG meeting. We're a bit late in getting the announcement out - but I hope that this message reaches students who are presenting papers in RTS sessions. If you are a supervisor or know students in your department who are giving papers please let them know in case they are not members of RTS and don't get this message.
      The guidelines are shown below - important deadline for submission of the full paper is February 1, 2012

      I'm not sure how many RTS sessions we have - if you successfully organized a session please let me know details. In addition I organized another 6 sessions drawn from previously unallocated papers - so I'm hoping that we have a noticeable presence at the meeting.

      I look forward to seeing many of you in New York

      Best wishes

      Alison Gill

      Chair, AAG/RTS Specialty group

      AAG/RTS Student Paper Competition
      Recreation, Tourism and Sport Specialty Group

      AAG ANNUAL MEETING New York February 24-28, 2010

      The Recreation, Tourism, and Sport (RTS) Specialty Group of the Association of American Geographers wishes to publicize the awarding of prizes to student-authored (and presented) papers at the AAG New York meeting that are being presented in RTS-sponsored sessions. A $150 first-place prize, a $100 second-place prize, and a $50 third-place prize will be awarded if sufficient high-quality papers are received.

      A paper abstract and request for consideration in the competition should be e-mailed to the RTS Chair, Alison Gill agill@... by December 1, 2011. The final written paper, (to be submitted to Alison Gill) is due on February 1, 2012

      GUIDELINES:
      1. Prepare a written version of your AAG presentation and e-mail it to RTS Chair agill@... by February 1, 2012. The written paper should conform to guidelines for The Professional Geographer in terms of format and style, and length should be a maximum of 12 pages double-spaced--or about 3000-3500 words (excluding maps & references). http://www.aag.org/cs/publications/the_professional_geographer.
      2. Only the presenting student should be listed as author. (Students whose papers are received after the deadline will lose some points during the judging process, and may be totally excluded if the paper is received too late for judging.)
      3. The written paper will be reviewed and selections of the final winners made by the RTS Board of Directors. Winners are encouraged to submit their entries to The Professional Geographer or Tourism Geographies for publication.
      4. Only the written papers will be judged for the final awards, but students who do not present their papers will be ruled not eligible to receive an award.
      5. Awards will be presented at the RTS Business Meeting at the AAG Annual Conference. Award winners will also be invited to the AAG Awards Banquet as a guest of the RTS Specialty Group.