Revised Call for Partcipants in a Round-Table Discussion on Enclave Tourism

  • Ioannides Dimitri
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2011

      Dear all,

      A while back I sent a call for papers/proposals for either a Round table or a proper paper session (depending on interest) on the topic of tourism enclaves. How one interprets such entities is open to a wide spectrum of interpretations. Please see the (slightly revised) CFP below.

      Given a lukewarm response to the original response I suggest that this session will actually function better as a round table. This mean that you do not need to actually submit an abstract plus you can present your paper and also participate in this session.

      I would like to invite the two persons that originally said they were interested (namely Keith Debbage and Noel Healey) to confirm if they are comfortable in participating in the session. Others (including myself we can probably add two or three more persons are invited to attend). I am thinking that persons interested in urban issues (we do not just have to be talking about enclave resorts on tropical islands) may find this interesting. Before I send out targeted invites I would like to ask again if anyone is willing to participate in this open forum. I think the topic is very interesting and can lead to a fascinating discussion. Moreover, if anyone of you is a member of the urban geography specialty group perhaps you can inform me how to co-list it with that specialty group. I have not been able to figure out how one does this.

      Please let me know immediately if you are interested in the panel session. Also, Keith and Noel, please contact me ASAP to reaffirm your interest.

      Best wishes to all,

      Dimitri Ioannides

      Proposed panel Session (in the form of Round-table - no abstracts necessary for this)

      Enclave Tourism: Exclusive Spaces or Spaces of Exclusion?

      The initial inspiration for this session has been the wide-scale development witnessed in various parts of the world (especially Asia) of brand new cities that focus heavily on tourism. Additionally, throughout the world we are witnessing more and more private, gated communities focusing on tourism and recreation as well as the emergence of an increasing number of all-inclusive resorts, and private islands belonging to cruise companies. This proposed panel discussion revisits the issue of tourism-inspired enclavic spaces (which have also been named tourist bubbles). In looking at enclaves I would like to encourage session participants to adopt a broad interpretation of what these constitute. We could be talking about stand-alone purpose-built tourism communities, all-inclusive resorts but also cruise ships. We could also be talking about the restructured downtowns of cities that function as tourist bubbles, albeit they are not gated like some of the other examples. We could also look at the notion of travelers themselves being within a bubble from the moment they leave their homes until they end their journeys (the fact that even though they may not be staying in physical enclaves they never totally escape what they are familiar with - eg., food, language, activities). Among the issues to be explored are the pros and cons of enclavic tourism, what these spaces mean from the point of view of the visitors as well as the inhabitant, the planning implications, and the position of workers who depend on these spaces (are they on the outside looking in?). From a more theoretical standpoint we could talk about the spatial characteristics of the various types of enclaves (e.g., cruises, stand alone all-inclusive resorts, and tourist cities), the purpose behind the "enclavism", and the command and control over space and spaces of flow.

      dimitri.ioannides@...