AAG NY - RTS proposed Round Table or Paper session: Enclave Tourism: Exclusive Spaces or Spaces of Exclusion?

  • Alison Gill
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2011
      Hello All:

      I'm forwarding a preliminary call for a session at the AAG New York from Dimitri Ioannides who is planning to organize this as either a Round Table discussion OR a proper paper session depending on interest. The advantage of a Round Table is that there can be a relative large number of panelists talk for a shorter while than usual and encourage audience participation. In the past such sessions have worked well if they are at a good time.

      Please let Dimitri know as soon as possible (by next Monday) if you are willing to contribute either as a panelist or with a paper. Once he knows what kind of interest there is he can decide if this is a panel or a paper session and can proceed to formalize the call. Email <dimitri.ioannides@...>

      Thanks
      Alison
      Chair
      RTS Specialty group AAG

      Enclave Tourism: Exclusive Spaces or Spaces of Exclusion?

      This session (or panel discussion) will revisit the issue of tourism enclaves (which have also been named tourst bubbles). In looking at enclaves I would like to encourage session participants to adopt a broad interpretation of what these constitute. We could be talking about stand-alone purpose-built tourism communities, all-inclusive resorts but also cruise ships. We could also be talking about the restructured downtowns of cities that function as tourist bubbles, albeit they are not gated like some of other examples. We could also look at the notion of travelers themselves being within a bubble from the moment they leave their homes until they end their journeys (the fact that even though they may not be staying in physical enclaves they never totally escape what they are familiar with - eg., food, language, activities). Among the issues to be explored are the pros and cons of enclavic tourism, what these spaces mean from the point of view of the visitors as well as the inhabitant, the planning implications, and the position of workers who depend on these spaces (are they on the outside looking in?).

      Dimitri Ioannides

      dimitri.ioannides@...