New RTS session proposals New York AAG

  • Alison Gill
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2011
      Dear RTS members:
      Over the past month or so, while I’ve been ‘on the road’ several new proposals for RTS sponsored sessions at next February’s AAG meeting in New York have been proposed. I am forwarding a call for papers for 3 new sessions. Please note that to submit abstracts to these sessions you should first register for the AAG meeting and get a PIN number and then submit the abstracts (and PIN number) to the organizer of the session. If you are not at this stage of readiness then I suggest that you contact the organizers to inform them of your interest.

      I have received emails from several other colleagues proposing session ideas and am in the process of contacting them to get a brief description of the sessions so that I can post a call for papers. I’ll keep you informed.

      Is any one interested in organizing (and chairing) a session on “Tourism post-9/11”? I thought it might make an interesting New York related topic. Let me know if you are interested and send me a brief paragraph highlighting relevant issues.

      Also let me know of any other topics that you think you might like to organize a session on. Although I can put our a CFP you will probably need to further elicit interest from colleagues you know in the field.
      I hope that you are all having a good summer – I’ll be back in touch again soon

      Best wishes

      Alison

      Professor Alison Gill
      Department of Geography
      Simon Fraser University
      Burnaby, BC. Cananda
      Chair, AAG Recreation, Tourism and Sport Specialty Group

      CALL FOR PAPERS - NEWLY PROPOSED RTS SESSIONS
      1. Title: Moral Encounters in Tourism
      Sponsored by the AAG Recreation, Tourism and Sport Specialty Group.
      Convenors: Dr Mary Conran (University of Hawaii, USA)
      and Professor Kevin Hannam, (University of Sunderland, UK).

      New concerns over the ethical consumption of tourism experiences have been met with an increasing interest by geographers, practitioners and advocates in the intersection of tourism and moral economies. The conspicuous growth of responsible, ethical and moral tourism as well as the increasing reflexivity of tourists, host community members and tourism researchers alike, is testament to the growing recognition of the role of morality in tourism encounters. Despite this growth, there has been relatively little work that explicitly addresses the linkages between the morality in tourism with the broader expansion of moral economies. The purpose of this panel is to extend critical tourism scholarship into new terrain by situating it within the broader expansion moral economies of consumption and reflecting upon the role of morality in tourism encounters and research.

      We seek original papers that provide critical, theoretically engaged analyses of moral encounters in tourism: historical, contemporary or methodological perspectives are welcomed. We are particularly interested in papers that build on current research on moral economies of consumption (e.g. fair trade), demonstrate the role of the moral tourism market within the broader expansion of moral economies, examine neoliberalism within moral economies, and, or, address the role of morality in tourism research. We also welcome authors who pay particular attention to race, class and gender as embodied aspects of tourism encounters. Ultimately, we seek contributions that demonstrate the contemporary relevance of morality in tourism encounters to larger issues such as power, uneven development, humanitarianism, globalization and political economy.

      Please email your abstracts to <conran@...> by the 1st September 2011.

      2. Title: Biopower in Tourism
      Organizers: Amy Miller Gray and Claudio Minca, (Indiana University)
      The biopolitical is present in tourism not only in terms of the organization of the fluxes and planned spaces, but also in terms of practice and ideas of place and experience. Tourism is biopolitical both in the ways in which culture is conceived and performed and in the ways in which the tourist is presented by the industry as an average subject driven by standard characteristic and behaviour. When people travel, they often enter a biopolitical economy that they endlessly transgress and subvert.

      This session intends to explore all the forms the biopolitical can take in tourism, wherein political and/or cultural ideology is embodied in the tourist and those they visit. We invite papers that explore the mechanisms of touring and travel that reveal the workings of the biopolitical in both overt and also in subtle and nuanced exchanges. We are particularly interested in expressions of politicisation of the body in tourism settings.

      We seek papers that explore, but are not limited, to the following themes:
      - tourism as a form of biopolitical intervention in specific space and places
      - tourism, landscape and the question of life
      - the tourism industry and the body
      - tourism, community, utopia

      Please email your abstracts to Amy Miller Gray <amymgray@...>
      by the 1st September 2011.

      3. Title : Rural and Peripheral Tourism
      Organizer: Patrick Brouder (Umeå University, Sweden)

      Tourism is one branch of the economy which can benefit rural and peripheral regions. Entrepreneurial activity and institutional efforts have led to tourism growth in many places. Rural and peripheral communities were often established as outposts of capitalism and prospered through primary industries such as agriculture, mining and forestry. Today, however, rural growth more often takes place in amenity-rich areas while many long-standing communities are facing challenges to their very survival. The resilience of locals is, at least in part, dependent upon creative and innovative actions by members of the community.
      This session invites papers discussing the role of tourism in sustaining rural and peripheral communities. Papers may address, but are not limited to, the following topics:
      • rural tourism and local quality of life
      • indigenous tourism at the community level
      • tourism entrepreneurs in the community beyond the economic realm
      • tourism institutions and NGOs as leaders of community resilience
      • limits of rural tourism.

      Please submit abstracts to Patrick Brouder <patrick.brouder@...> by September 1st 2011.

      CFP : RTS SESSIONS PREVIOUSLY ANNOUNCED

      1. RTS SPECIAL SESSIONS ON THEORETICAL DEVELOPMENTS
      The Recreation, Tourism and Sport specialty group seeks papers and sessions that highlight, among other things, new developments in the areas of performativity, tourist experience, semiotics, authenticity, the host gaze, the relationship between tourism sites/sights and ideology, lifestyle mobilities, and place branding/marketing. We hope to have 4-6 sessions highlighting these and related topics.

      If you are organizing a session having to do with any of these themes, or if you would like to participate in such a session, please contact me at the email below.

      Daniel C. Knudsen <knudsen@...>
      Professor of Geography, Indiana University
      RTS Specialty Group Board Member

      2. Joint RTS/ IGU Tourism Commission session(s) on TOURISM GEOGRAPHIES & GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE
      Recently the role of climate and its change have emerged as one of the most
      urgent issues in tourism geographies and tourism development policies. With
      links to sustainability, regional and product development, for example, it
      perhaps represents the most timely and urgent theme in tourism studies. The session aims to provide new approaches in the study of the relation between global climate change, tourism development and destinations. Papers may focus on the theory and/or practice of tourism geographies and climate change in local, regional and/or global scales.
      Contact: Jarkko Saarinen, University of Oulu, Finland, <jarkko.saarinen@...>

      3. RTS Special Session on TOURISM GOVERNANCE & SUSTAINABILITY
      As tourism destinations seek more sustainable practices, new governance structures and processes for sustainable planning and management are emerging. There is increasingly complex layering of relationships between stakeholders with diverse, often overlapping, interests in tourism. The complexity of these relationships can present a range of challenges to local planners, tourism managers and policy actors. Papers are sought that address both theoretical and applied perspective on tourism governance and sustainability.
      Send abstracts to Alison Gill <agill@...> by September 1, 2011