63rd death anniversary of the Great Master (2 April)

  • suchi
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2011
      Glimpses of the Great Master
      (20 July, 1858 to 2 April 1948)

      Description of his personality-

      1. Dr. Julian Johnson wrote to an American friend: "I have never such a
      face before, nor imagined there was one like it among the sons of men.
      If ever there was a face combining old age (he is now seventy four years
      of age) with beauty, majesty and calm power, it is his. But beyond all
      that, there is a sort of spiritual radiance which no words can describe,
      but which gives one a feeling of deep peace, as if the discords of earth
      were no longer possible in his presence. As you look into his face, you
      loose all desire to talk, even ask questions. You simply absorb the
      light. His voice is vibrant with love and his smile seems as if it
      lights up the room.

      2. A professional photographer who also saw the Great Master, expressed
      his surprise in the following words: "I have photographed kings and
      queens, rajas, princes, viceroys, governors, and political and religious
      leaders, but there is something in Great Master that my camera always
      failts to catch. I cannot express what it is, but it is something that
      all my training in Europe and America finds impossible to reproduce. I
      feel that it is not anything physical and material, but must be
      something spiritual or supernatural that escapes the camera."

      3. The Great Master was tall of stature, with a slim and stately figure.
      He had a high forehead, a flowing white beard, and a fair complexion
      with pinkish tinge. His features were fairly chiseled. A stranger
      passing by could not help being fascinated by his majestic figure.

      Brief history-

      He was born on 20 July, 1858, in a respected family of Grewal Jats. His
      ancestral village was Mehmansinghwala in Ludhiana in Punjab. The Great
      Masters father Sardar Kabul Singh was a Subedra Major in the Indian Army
      and his mother was Mata Jiwani. His wife Mata Kishen Kaur was
      affectionately called 'Amman ji' by the satsangis. He had three sons,
      Sardar Banchit Singh, Sardar Basant Singh and Sardar Harbans Singh.

      After his schooling, he looked after the family for some period and then
      enlisted in the Punjab Regiment no. 24. Sometime later, he joined
      Thompson Engineering College, Rurkee. After graduation, he joined the
      Indian Military Engineering Service in 1886 and served upto 1911.

      His insatiable thirst for spiritual realization led him to make a deep
      study of the Adi Granth, the Upanishads, the Vedas and the writings of
      eminent Sufi saints such as Rumi, Hafiz, etc.

      Great Master's first meeting with Baba Jaimal Singh Ji-

      The first encounter of the Great Master with Babaji was indeed
      memorable, Baba ji was taking a walk on a road in Murree, when the Great
      Master happened to cross his path. Babaji said to Bibi Rukko, who was
      accoppanying him, "I have come to Murree for this person." pointing to
      the Great Master after he passed Baba ji. "What sort of a man is he? He
      has not even cared to greet you" retorted Bibi Rukko, "What does the
      poor creature know?" answered Baba ji, and added, "he will come to
      attend the satsang three days hence". As predicted, Great Master came to
      attend the satsang in three days, after hearing about the spiritual
      eminence of Baba ji. And Babaji's very first discourse answered all the
      questions and removed all the doubts that the Great Master had been
      carrying in his mind for years. He soon made a request for initiation,
      which was readily granted. Baba ji remarked at that time that he had
      been holding something for the Great Master as a trust from the Lord,
      which he had discharged that day. This was the turning point in the life
      of the Great Master. Henceforth, meditation became his prime occupation,
      and Babaji's darshan his sole passion in life. It was a unique
      relationship of mutual love and affection between the Master and the
      disciple.

      Daily Schedule-

      He Held Satsangs, generally twice a day, which sometimes lasted for more
      than two hours. He bestowed initiation, a long and arduous task taking
      many hours to complete, which was proceeded by the selection of eligible
      aspirants. He made sure that the Langar ran efficiently. To a large
      number of disciples he distributed prasaad. From this heavy schedule he
      would also spare time for evening walks with some of his devoted
      satsangis. In spite of all thes preoccupations, he even managed to find
      time to write a book, which was left for posterity his valuable
      commentry of the Sant Mat teachings. How he could achieve all this with
      just a secretary and a few other sevadars to assist him was nothing
      short of a miracle.

      Construction of the Satsang Ghar 'Baba Jaimal Singh Hall'-

      The most important landmark in the growth of the Dera was the
      construction of the Satsang Ghar called, 'Baba Jaimal Singh Hall' which
      was started in 1934 and completed in 1937. It is a majestic edifice of
      high architectural merit and is regarded as one of the most beautiful
      buildings of the Punjab. The entire design and plan and design for the
      Satsang Ghar was concieved by the Great Master. It is adorned with well
      proportioned towers, surmounted by shapely domes which are crowned by
      gold plated pinnacles. The building with its flawless finish and its
      simple yet dignified design, compels ones wonder and admiration.

      The foundation stone of the hall was laid by the Great Master on
      September 30, 1934, at 1:30 PM. He arrived at the spot in the company of
      a few satsangis, stood with closed eyes for a few minutes, and invoked
      the grace and blessings of the Lord.

      A marble casket was placed in the foundation trench, containing a copy
      of Sar Bachan by Soami Ji Maharaj, and a note with brief of Dera to
      which Great Master appended his signature. Thereafter the casket was
      covered with brickes and the Great Master himself carried the first five
      baskets of earth to fill the trench.

      Satsang and Satsang Tours-

      He went on extensive tours to various cities and hill stations. He was
      particularly happy to establish the centres at Kalu di Bar, Bhota, Paror
      and Dalhousie, for he saw in the simple hill folk a flow of devotion and
      faith.

      The satsang tours were strenuous, involving various modes of transport,
      including ponies and horses, sometimes the Master even had to cover
      great distances on foot. The accomodation available at several centres
      especially at hill stations were inadequate.

      The Last Days-

      The last days of the Great Master were spent almost entirely at the
      Dera, except for a short stay at Amritsar. In the state of his feeble
      health, he used to give darshan every day, usually from a window in his
      room or from a window in the verandah adjoining his room, Dr. Pierre
      Schmidt had come from Geneva for the duration of that period, and he
      stayed on at the Dera until the end of the Great Master's sojourn in
      this world.

      After forty-five years of the Great Master's ministry, devoted to the
      dissemination of spiritual knowledge and spiritual uplift of the masses,
      this Great Mystic returned to his eternal home on April 2, 1948, after
      nominating, in his written will, Sardar Bahadur Jagat Singh Ji Maharaj
      as his successor to carry on Soami ji Maharaj's mission, the founder of
      the Radha Soami philosophy and spiritual science.

      The Final Moments-

      On March 31, 1948, Dr. Schmidt said that Huzur would not survive for
      more than two days.

      On the night of April 1, the Doctor called all the personaly attendants
      of Huzur, as he thought the condition was very critical. The ladies were
      reciting hymns in his room, but his soul had become completely
      indifferent to the body.

      The next morning, that is the morning of the dateful April 2, 1948,
      Gandhi came to call me at 7 AM, I dressed and hurried up to Huzurs room.
      A few minutes after 8:30, the Great Master took his last breath, and
      that was the end. We were all sitting by his bedside. Dr. Schmidt
      examined the heart with his stethoscope, covered Huzurs face with the
      sheet, bowed his head and stood up. I also left the room and tears
      invoulantarily flowed from my eyes. Weeping, I came out from the side
      and sat down on the verandah. - Rai Sahib Munshi Ram.

    • ravi asudani
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2011
        Dear Satsangi,

        Who so ever you are....your are great. Thanks for sharing this with us.

        Radha Soami Greetings!!

        On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 9:02 PM, suchi <suchib1977@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > more than two days.
        >
        > On the night of April 1, the Doctor called all the personaly attendants
        > of Huzur, as he thought the condition was very critical. The ladies were
        > reciting hymns in his room, but his soul had become completely
        > indifferent to the body.
        >
        > The next morning, that is the morning of the dateful April 2, 1948,
        > Gandhi came to call me at 7 AM, I dressed and hurried up to Huzurs room.
        > A few minutes after 8:30, the Great Master took his last breath, and
        > that was the end. We were all sitting by his bedside. Dr. Schmidt
        > examined the heart with his stethoscope, covered Huzurs face with the
        > sheet, bowed his head and stood up. I also left the room and tears
        > invoulantarily flowed from my eyes. Weeping, I came out from the side
        > and sat down on the verandah. - Rai Sahib Munshi Ram.

      • puneet kathuria
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2011
          di plese send me the baba ji's programme of 2011.

          regards
          puneet