Think for a moment

  • Dr. Atul Verma
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2006
      Think for a moment
      As I was passing the elephants, I suddenly stopped, confused by the fact that these huge
      creatures were being held by only a small rope tied to their front leg. No chains, no cages. It
      was obvious that the elephants could, at anytime, break away from their bonds but for some
      reason, they did not.

      I saw a trainer near by and asked why these beautiful, magnificent animals just stood there
      and made no attempt to get away. "Well," he said, "When they are very young and much
      smaller we use the same size rope to tie them and, at that age, it's enough to hold them. As
      they grow up, they are conditioned to believe they cannot break away. They believe the rope
      can still hold them, so they never try to break free."

      I was amazed. These animals could at any time break free from their bonds but because they
      believed they couldn't, they were stuck right where they were.

      Like the elephants, how many of us go through life hanging onto a belief that we cannot do
      something, simply because we failed at it once before?

      Author unknown