Shakespeare Comments On The Position Of Satguru

  • Michael Martin
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2006
      Troilus and Cressida Act 3, Scene 3 by Shakespeare:

      ULYSSES

      I do not strain at the position,--
      It is familiar,--but at the author's drift;

      MM:
      Who is the "author," of the position of Sat Guru? It
      is God, i.e. Anami Purush.

      Who, in his circumstance, expressly proves
      That no man is the lord of any thing,

      MM:
      He rules all. He is the Supreme Commander. The
      Saints are like Generals or Admirals.

      Though in and of him there be much consisting,
      Till he communicate his parts to others:

      MM:
      What is the part of the Sat Guru, that he will
      communicate to others. It is the access to God. That
      part. Shakespeare teaches the indispensability of the
      Sat Guru to realize God.

      Nor doth he of himself know them for aught
      Till he behold them form'd in the applause
      Where they're extended; who, like an arch,
      reverberates
      The voice again, or, like a gate of steel
      Fronting the sun, receives and renders back
      His figure and his heat. I was much wrapt in this;

      And apprehended here immediately
      The unknown Ajax.

      MM:
      We have to practice Sat Guru Bhakti, then the Author
      (God) will bestow his grace on us.

      Heavens, what a man is there! a very horse,
      That has he knows not what. Nature, what things
      there are
      Most abject in regard and dear in use!

      MM:
      Some might find the Sat Guru abject, but he would be
      dear in use, if we followed him.

      What things again most dear in the esteem
      And poor in worth!

      MM:
      Do we follow a Master, or do we follow people, places,
      and things of this world? They would be poor in
      worth, comparatively.

      Now shall we see to-morrow--
      An act that very chance doth throw upon him--
      Ajax renown'd. O heavens, what some men do,
      While some men leave to do!

      MM:
      Some follow the Master. Some reject him.

      How some men creep in skittish fortune's hall,
      Whiles others play the idiots in her eyes!
      How one man eats into another's pride,
      While pride is fasting in his wantonness!
      To see these Grecian lords!--why, even already
      They clap the lubber Ajax on the shoulder,
      As if his foot were on brave Hector's breast
      And great Troy shrieking.

      MM:
      We make plans in the region of maya. Some of them
      turn out successful. Some are failures. We might
      falsely think we have our mind under control, but then
      Satan could tempt us, and we would fall. This is a
      warning from Shakespeare.

      Michael Martin

      http://mail.yahoo.com