RSS: Tim Bray on eyeballs and excerpts

  • Betsy Devine
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2004
      Very interesting piece today by Tim Bray on why he uses excerpts in RSS feeds:

      http://tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2004/01/31/OneMonthOfAdsense

      "Basically, when people read ongoing in an RSS feed, they don't see ads and I don't
      see revenue....I've got a direct financial incentive to get my readers to come through
      ongoing rather than read me in the RSS context. Let's not sugar-coat this; running
      ads places my interests in direct conflict with my readers' in this respect. Since
      nobody is paying to read ongoing, I can live with making them temporarily pull back
      the covers and get out of the warm fuzzy embrace of their RSS reader.

      "In this respect, let me quote one of my heroes, Vladimir Nabokov:I write for love, but
      I publish for money."

      I for one wouldn't mind seeing Tim's Google Ads in his RSS, in exchange for a full-
      content RSS feed.
      Betsy
      --
      Betsy Devine
      http://feedster.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 31, 2004
        On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 04:29:44AM -0000, Betsy Devine wrote:

        > I for one wouldn't mind seeing Tim's Google Ads in his RSS, in
        > exchange for a full- content RSS feed. Betsy

        That could be problematic. Some (many?) aggregators do various types
        of HTML stripping and sanitization. Depending on the implementation,
        they might not make it...

        Jeremy
        --
        Jeremy D. Zawodny | Perl, Web, MySQL, Linux Magazine, Yahoo!
        <Jeremy@...> | http://jeremy.zawodny.com/
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2004
          Interesting point.

          My respone to Mr Bray, as a person who's subscribed to his feed, for now at
          least -- he should ask himself why he blogs. If it's to make money then his
          RSS feed full of teasers may be the best way to go. But it is highly
          irritating to people who actually read what he writes. (As opposed to
          skimming titles.)

          On the other hand, since he's a software developer, he might use the two-way
          nature of his feed (as an information gatherer and a want gatherer) to help
          him design a program that's useful to many of the people who read his feed,
          and then ask us to buy it at some point. In my experience there's a lot more
          money in this than advertising or sponsorship.

          And if it isn't solely about making money, he should try to figure out if
          which is more important, being able to influence people or making ad
          revenue. They aren't compatible. He's wanting to make it our (his readers)
          conundrum, but it's his too. It seems he puts a fair amount of effort into
          his weblog. Does he want people to read it or not?

          Dave

          > Very interesting piece today by Tim Bray on why he uses excerpts in RSS
          feeds:

          > http://tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2004/01/31/OneMonthOfAdsense
          >
          > "Basically, when people read ongoing in an RSS feed, they don't see ads
          and I don't
          > see revenue....I've got a direct financial incentive to get my readers to
          come through
          > ongoing rather than read me in the RSS context. Let's not sugar-coat this;
          running
          > ads places my interests in direct conflict with my readers' in this
          respect. Since
          > nobody is paying to read ongoing, I can live with making them temporarily
          pull back
          > the covers and get out of the warm fuzzy embrace of their RSS reader.
          >
          > "In this respect, let me quote one of my heroes, Vladimir Nabokov:I write
          for love, but
          > I publish for money."
          >
          > I for one wouldn't mind seeing Tim's Google Ads in his RSS, in exchange
          for a full-
          > content RSS feed.
          > Betsy
          > --
          > Betsy Devine
          > http://feedster.com
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • miseldine
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2004
            I'd imagine the hosting costs of very popular blogs can be quite an
            expense. I can only wonder what the bandwidth a site like
            scripting.com would suck...therefore, I think its understandable to
            try and find ways of making money to at least cover the costs of
            operation.

            But I'm getting a little concerned as to the willingness of some
            people to use blogs and RSS to make money. Not that they don't have a
            right to, I just think personally it will start to degrade the quality
            and objectivity of blogs as an alternative to the mass media, one of
            the principal reasons I enjoy reading them, by introducing financial
            interests.

            And RSS is great because it cuts through the chaff. The whole reason I
            went to the trouble to find an aggregator, subscribe to the feeds, and
            have another application independent of my browser running all the
            time is because I get the information quicker. How sad it would be if
            RSS feeds start to be polluted by ads, teasers, one-liners...

            Oh, and as an aside, my Mozilla Firebird setup blocks all Google Ads
            anyway :) I think it was the AdBlocker plugin...

            Best regards,

            Philip Miseldine