Re: [rss-public] Re: RSS Profile Help Request

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 7, 2006
      Randy Morin wrote:
      > Do you have a list of aggregators that support this? I was focused on
      > what actually works. When I wrote the article I was unaware of any
      > clients or publishers that supported it. In fact, until I get your
      > reply with the list of aggregators, I will still be unaware of anybody
      > that actually supports this.

      I don't have a comprehensive list because I've only tested a few, but these
      are the ones I know of: FeedDemon, IE7, JetBrains Omea, NewzCrawler, RSS
      Bandit and Snarfer. Some only work with the etag header and some only with
      last-modified so it's best if a server provides both.

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 7, 2006
        You know what, it's been so long since I wrote this, that I'm
        currently confused. Are you saying that these guys support HTTP
        headers like A-IM?
        Thanks,

        Randy Charles Morin
        http://www.kbcafe.com/rss

        --- In rss-public@yahoogroups.com, "James Holderness" <j4_james@...>

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 7, 2006
          rcade wrote:
          > I'm getting close to finishing everything I wanted to cover in the
          > first version of the RSS Profile. Before I consider submitting it to
          > the board, I need help filling out the to-do list.
          >
          > http://www.rssboard.org/rss-profile#to-do
          >
          > What issues and namespace elements does the profile need to cover that
          > aren't there already?

          The last time this question was asked, I responded[1] with this:

          There is one other thing that I would recommend that the profile
          consider: documenting which elements are not widely implemented.
          By my count, this would include such elements as cloud, ttl,
          rating, and textInput. I realize that others will differ, but I
          would also add skipHours, and skipDay -- the reason being that
          if you add these elements because you want to minimize your
          bandwidth, you really need to be aware that it won't have as much
          of an impact as you would like.

          Since then, Randy uncovered a set of XSS tests that probably should be
          mentioned.

          Oh, and if the intention is to continue to add explicit support for a
          feature for which the Harvard version of the spec is clear on the matter
          and didn’t provide any wiggle room, then you probably will not only want
          to rename the document as profiles are a subset, but you should also
          review the roadmap.

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 7, 2006
            Randy Morin wrote:
            > You know what, it's been so long since I wrote this, that I'm
            > currently confused. Are you saying that these guys support HTTP
            > headers like A-IM?

            Here's a partial list of subscribers to my feed that provide an A-IM header:

            AlestiFeedBot
            Bloglines
            FeedDemon
            FeedLounge
            feeds.reddit
            intraVnews
            JetBrains
            Mozilla
            MSRBOT (http:
            NewzCrawler
            Planet
            rawdog
            rss2email
            RssBandit
            Snarfer
            UniversalFeedParser
            Windows RSS Platform
            Windows-RSS-Platform

            I've eliminated a few that provide non-specific headers (example:
            Java/1.4.1_04)

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 7, 2006
              Randy Morin wrote:
              > You know what, it's been so long since I wrote this, that I'm
              > currently confused. Are you saying that these guys support HTTP
              > headers like A-IM?

              Yes. That's exactly what I was testing - those are all aggregators that sent
              through "A-IM: feed" as a header. It only happens on the second refresh
              though. They have to support etags or the last-modified header so they can
              say to the server, "this is what I've got - only send me updates that have
              arrived since."

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 8, 2006
                That's very cool! Next time I update that document, I'll be sure to
                account for this new information.
                Thanks James,