Re: Relative URLs in RSS

  • jehousley
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7 4:40 AM
      --- In rss-public@yahoogroups.com, "rcade" <rcade@...> wrote:

      > The new draft of the proposed spec adds a paragraph to the item
      > description section that relates to relative URLs:
      >
      > "The description SHOULD NOT contain relative URLs. When a relative URL
      > is present, an aggregator MAY attempt to resolve it to a full URL
      > using the channel's link as the base."
      >
      > http://www.rssboard.org/rss-draft-1-04#element-channel-item-description
      >
      > Background:
      >
      > No RSS specification contains language describing how to resolve a
      > relative URI to a full URI. Without language that identifies the base
      > URI of an RSS document, URI resolution is not possible.
      >
      > This is not a problem in any link or url elements in RSS, because they
      > MUST begin with a URI scheme, so relative URLs are not permitted.
      >
      > It is a problem for aggregators in two other areas:
      >
      > 1. Presenting item descriptions to users that contain relative URLs.
      >
      > 2. Copying an RSS item from one document to another, a behavior
      > supported by the item source element:
      >
      > http://www.rssboard.org/rss-2-0-1-rv-6#ltsourcegtSubelementOfLtitemgt
      >
      > Because the source element encourages copying RSS items from one
      > source to another, a practice that breaks when an item contains
      > relative URLs, I think the proposed spec needs guidance on the subject.
      >
      > The proposed language addresses this issue without declaring any
      > existing users of RSS invalid, which is an important consideration
      > when a gray area has led implementors to use their own judgment.
      >
      > RSS publishers will get a nudge away from using relative URLs in a
      > description, and aggregators won't have to guess how to attempt
      > resolution.

      While relative URLs cause many problems, they also have many valid uses. If we wanted to
      support relative URLs in the description the addition of an attribute "urlBase" could allow
      this. This would allow people that create content that is used in many place, using relative
      URLs, to place the same content into the description of an RSS feed without having to
      continously edit it. This "urlBase" would operate in the same manner as the <base> tag in
      HTML.

      JIm