Re: skipDays

  • ecomputerd
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2006
      --- In rss-public@yahoogroups.com, "rcade" <rcade@...> wrote:

      > --- In rss-public@yahoogroups.com, "ecomputerd" <ecomputerd@> wrote:
      > > Is there such a mechanism/indicator/element in RSS right now? If
      not,
      > > there should be.
      >
      > Under your scenario, the aggregator never checked the feed on Friday,
      > a day that wasn't a skipday. So on Saturday, when the aggregator
      knows
      > it's a skipday, could it remember this fact and check once to ensure
      > nothing was missed on Friday?

      Technically this is possible, but doesn't it conflict with
      the "reducing peak traffic" usage of skipDays such that aggregators
      assuming the "update time" usage of skipDays will specifically request
      updates during the skipDays days.

      What I would have to do internally is construct a weekly (or monthly)
      map of all the skipDays, determine the most recent (and last possible
      second of the) "opening", and update if I had not updated between that
      calculation/mapping and the current time. It seems easier for the feed
      producer to specify either 1) the next update (useful if dynamically
      generated), 2) the list of update times, or 3) multiple ranges of
      update times where the feed is updated only once during the range. In
      this case, 3) could be (practically) reduced to 2) by specifying
      the "end points" of the ranges as the list of update times. The subtle
      difference being the presumption that a range specifies that the feed
      could be updated only once during the range and if an update is
      commanded during the range and an update is actually found, then no
      further update is necessary. (This is, granted, a potentially
      superfluous use case).

      Greg Smith
      Author, FeederReader - RSS Aggregator for Windows Mobile Pocket PC