Re: Show Notes

  • ecomputerd
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2006
      I don't think this currently exists in a usable format. I haven't
      seen the conversation recently on this topic, but here are my
      thoughts. Media RSS comes the closest to be able to
      specify "related" media files using multiple media:content elements.
      I don't think there is an easy way to do what you are talking about
      because I don't think there is an easy way to specify that two
      elements (or media:content elements within media:group element)
      should be played *simultaneously*. In my mind, the best alternative
      is the SMIL standard that explicitly specifies media and their
      timing (and physical) relationship.

      The difficulty currently with SMIL is that it is designed for
      streaming. I don't know of any Aggregator that will turn
      a "streaming" SMIL file into a "download for later playback". What
      would be required by the aggregator is to parse the SMIL at the time
      of the "enclosure download", and locally cache the media files,
      including any "show notes". Probably the closest you will get today
      is to publish a flash swf file, but this is not very portable, nor
      playable on portable devices.

      I'm sorry I don't have the answer right now, but this is something
      that will likely require more effort to specify and get implemented
      by (semi-connected web, non-desktop) aggregators.

      Greg Smith
      Author, FeederReader - Pocket PC *direct* RSS text, audio, video,
      podcasts
      www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road

      --- In rss-public@yahoogroups.com, Mike DeWolfe <mikedewolfe@...>
      wrote:

      > Maybe I am off-topic by asking this question here. If so, please
      forgive me.
      > I've gone through the podcasting module for RSS and I haven't seen
      an
      > element that would fit for show notes to companion a podcast. When
      I've been
      > listening to ChuckChat recently, they reference links in their
      show notes.
      > That's great and a link from their site leads right to a wiki of
      their show
      > notes.
      > I had the thought synchronize external elements to the MP3:
      a "shownotes"
      > element reference would reference an associated XML file. It would
      hold
      > notes with timestamps and links or links to actions. If you loaded
      the RSS
      > for the podcast into a Flash movie or similar, it would go out and
      load the
      > associated shownotes XML file. As the MP3 played, if the MP3
      timestamp and a
      > shownotes timestamp matched up, it would load the link and
      description so
      > could see the associated information when it was appropriate.
      (e.g. at
      > 00:10:53 the narrator said, "Check out this cool site." then the
      bottom of
      > the Flash movie would have the link right there waiting.). In the
      Chuckchat