Re: An RSS Profile in the Making

    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2006
      --- In rss-public@yahoogroups.com, "James Holderness" <j4_james@...>
      wrote:
      > Yeah. I agree that's a good recommendation for feed publishers.
      However, as
      > I said, knowing that Textpattern is producing multiple enclosures is
      good
      > justification for encouraging feed readers to implement that
      capability. In
      > fact I'm sure the Best Practices Profile already does that.

      The profile describes the disagreement on this issue and recommends
      one item per enclosure:

      http://www.rssboard.org/rss-profile#element-channel-item-enclosure

      The lead author of the current RSS spec has made clear that he
      intended for enclosure to be present zero or one times per item.
      There's also implicit support for this interpretation in how
      item-category is treated.

      I think it's better to recommend one enclosure per item rather than
      taking a contrary position or taking no position at all.

      If the profile dodges the big issues by stating that disagreement
      exists, we're missing an opportunity to improve interop by steering
      people to the best possible solution.
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2006
        rcade wrote:
        > The profile describes the disagreement on this issue and recommends
        > one item per enclosure:
        >
        > http://www.rssboard.org/rss-profile#element-channel-item-enclosure

        I don't think I made myself very clear. I think the text you have there is
        perfect. Recommending one enclosure per item is good. Acknowleding the fact
        that some publishers may include more than one enclosure is good too. Since
        the profile already does all of that, I have no complaints.